1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Local school on lockdown, completely missed by local news, newspaper etc..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, May 8, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

So yesterday my nephew's school and a local day care were both on lockdown because of a threat made by a parent.

The father, who recently got back from the war, is in the middle of a divorce, his father just died and the father skipped town after being arrested for misdemeanor battery. He told his ex-wife that he was coming to town and was going to kill the whole family.

Scary shit. As this was happening, my sister-in-law asked me to drive by the school. I did and there were no fewer than 10 police cars there and another five at the day care. Thankfully, nothing happened.

This happened relatively early on Thursday.

Zero mention of it in the newspaper. Zero mention of it on the news.

We had a lockdown at another school for a much, much lesser threat a few months ago and it was the lead story on every newscast and was on the front of the paper. With police scanners and people calling around, this is one of the biggest elementary schools in the area and how this was either missed or ignored by the news outlets is beyond me. The school was locked down for four hours.

When I picked my kids up from a different school, everybody there knew every detail of what had happened at the other school and everybody was talking about it.

I take my kids to karate and everybody there is talking about it.

It just stuns me that something like this could be missed. I'm assuming it wasn't ignored.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Call the media outlets and ask WTF.

3. RecoveringJournalist

More than a few people have told me to do that or asked me to do that since I used to work at the local rag and I used to work at one of the TV stations... I don't know... For whatever reason, I don't want to be the person who calls it in.

I'm sure by saying that, I probably have no right to complain that they missed it.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What about the parents?
    They should want explanations.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Do the local papers or tv stations have any reporters left?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably some intern makes cop calls once a week. Too bad one of the Kardashians isn't in town.

7. RecoveringJournalist

The paper? Not really.

I don't think any of the TV stations have had cutbacks though. If the lockdown from a couple months ago hadn't gotten such huge coverage, I would write this off as "apparently they don't think this is news"

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Last week I saw a few cop cars speeding into the parking lot of a local middle school. I then saw several cop cars blocking a road on the side of the school. I was driving past so didn't get a great look, but it appeared they were wearing a bunch of protective gear. I guessed a lockdown was going on for some reason.

I couldn't find any reports of what happened at the school on any news sites or the county sheriff's site.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can't speak for your area.

In my area, schools go on lockdown all the time and they don't alert the media when they do it. When we learn about it, it's almost always because a parent called us.

If anyone tipped off the TV stations, I'd bet they would have been there.

Draft saved Draft deleted