1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 8, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

ESPN opted not to renew his contract, which is up in September.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a jerk, but why should anybody care?

Do people go to ESPN for the "talent," or do they just watch for games or highlights? Would you watch, or not watch, because of an anchor or analyst?

I have turned off a couple programs because of Berman, but other than that, it doesn't matter.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A board for journalists. Yeah, why would anyone care about this?

Excellent point.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just spitball here, but maybe because he spearheaded the network's popular documentary series, "30 for 30."

Or because he spearheaded "Grantland," the popular ESPN side project.

Or because he's probably the most popular columnist at the network.

Just spitballing, though.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You think that is enough for people to care Dick?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So where's he go? Turner? Fox? Yahoo?

Or does he do like his buddy Adam Carolla and launch his own multimedia network?

I would lean toward the latter except he wouldn't have mainstream access to the NBA, which we know is important to him.

8. RecoveringJournalist

We absolutely should care. ESPN, as a whole, is greatly improved because of its relationship with Simmons. The 30 for 30s were by far one of the best things ESPN has ever done.

He didn't properly kiss John Skipper's ass and he's viewed as a troublemaker, so he's gone.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When he set up the second podcast a few weeks ago, I wondered if that was a sign to ESPN or a suitor, how his name could instantly get a podcast to number 1 on iTunes.

10. RecoveringJournalist

I think he will wind up at Turner in some capacity. I will be very curious what he does with his podcast, which will get infinitely better when it's not overseen by ESPN.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No doubt about that. I can't wait til his first post-ESPN pod, when the gloves are off and he can finally say what he wants.

12. RecoveringJournalist

I am under the impression that Simmons and Rick Reilly are paid roughly the same by ESPN.

Simmons has been worth every cent and they got a ton of return on that investment and that's more than they can say with a lot of their highly-priced talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted