1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The best British movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 6, 2015.

1. UK Telegraph's 75 British movies

The best British movies

I've only seen a handful of these, and heard of about half of them. I found some titles to add search for on Netflix and Amazon.
    Deep Water, The Long Good Friday, Don't Look Now and Witchfinder General are now on my watch list.
    Get Carter and Bridge on the River Kwai are my favorites on the list.
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Sleuth are missing from the list (IMO).

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Was wondering if a Monty Python movie would make the list. I'm a little surprised it was Life of Brian over Holy Grail.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

War Division: Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
    Life Division: Trainspotting

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Of those, I've seen: Lawrence of Arabia, From Russia With Love, Zulu, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, Chariots of Fire and Howards End. I've seen parts of Life of Brian, but Monty Python isn't my thing.

From Russia With Love and A Clockwork Orange are the only ones I enjoyed enough to watch more than once.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think 'Life of Brian' is a much more cohesive whole and a better overall movie than 'The Holy Grail.'

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Life of Brian is also more subversive that Holy Grail.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

While this may be the case, the one big advantage that The Holy Grail has over Life of Brian are the memorable lines. The Holy Grail has dozens of snappy one-liners that have become part of movie lore. Life of Brian just doesn't have that many good lines that stick out.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love them both. I wouldn't want to choose a favorite between the two.
    I'm just saying that one holds up as a movie with a real narrative construction while the other is more of a series of loosely related sketches or segments following a single topic or context.
    They are both works of genius.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Solid list. My No. 1 is too low.

Kes and Don't Look Now. People here would like those. Kes will piss you off something fierce, but it's good.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Disappointed that "24 Hour Party People" didn't make the list.

Outside of "Trainspotting," "The Full Monty," and the Bond and Python movies, not much here.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Trainspotting is my favorite film on that list by a mile.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Why isn't Trainspotting considered a Scottish movie?

Draft saved Draft deleted