1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A tip of the hat to Ernie Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, May 6, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Sports Emmy Awards were held on Tuesday night. EJ wins award for best in-studio host.

Gives the award to Stuart Scott's daughters.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The E:60 on EJ is great and worth your time. Starts at the 4 min mark. If you don't get choked up when Ernie says "He is perfectly and wonderfully made" then you're tougher than me.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Fuck. That just destroyed me.

Thanks for sharing. I knew a bit about Johnson, I knew he had adopted a ton of kids, but I didn't know most of what was in that piece. A player I used to cover was in FCA and I covered an event where Johnson was, this would have been 2006 or 2007, I didn't meet or talk to him, but I remember several people talking about a great guy he is.

Seems like a colossal understatement now.

Double Down likes this.
  4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

That E:60 piece was amazing. If I can be half the dad I am to my 2-year-old that Ernie Jr. is to his kids, then I'm going to be a hell of a father.

It's clear that Ernie Jr. was the apple in Ernie Sr.'s eye. I still remember, when Ernie Sr. did his final Braves game on Sports South in the late 90s, Ernie Jr. dropped by the booth. Whoever was on color that night left so father and son could do the last few innings together.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just talked to my dad about this feature. Dad was a Milwaukee Braves fan and remembers Ernie Sr. as a "not insignificant" member of the pitching staff.

I think my favorite part of the story was Ernie Jr.'s wife admitting that they weren't supposed to check account balances, but she did anyway and still went on that first date.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a few friends who have had their dad as their best man in their wedding and I sheepishly admit that at the time (when I was 15 years younger) , I thought that was pretty lame and now I think it's pretty awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted