1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy remaking Central Valley papers ... goodbye, sports section!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, May 5, 2015.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess, there won't be any "sections" - they're going tab.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ugh. I don't think this will end well at all. You might be able to do this in certain markets. McClatchy wouldn't be able to do this in markets like Kansas City, where a ton of interest is in that sports section.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Surprised a lot more papers don't do this. You can jettison the sections and still get a good read.

5. HanSenSE

I'm hearing of early deadlines, which may mean no gamers, city council and other government meetings, ect. But they obviously don't want those kind of stories.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wheels have been in motion for a while. The digital-first initiative is called "2020" (might as well launch it in 2015, since the print products likely won't make it to 2020). Meanwhile, 8 people were laid off at the Publishing Center in Charlotte in March, and several more from the other side of the room (reporters, photogs, assigning editors) will be laid off in a couple of weeks. 15 buyouts were taken by employees at the (Columbia, S.C.) State, SIX of them in the sports department. McClatchy has no TV stations to keep up an appearance of profitability., and it's basically a penny stock on the NYSE.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to follow this redesign and see the reaction.

The stated goals and objectives (quoted below) seem reasonable to me, but having been in newspapers for more than two decades, I have my doubts. Interpretive, second-day stories sound great, until management sees how much time and resources are needed to produce them.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Is this redesign the public face of a plan to integrate the two newspapers editorial content? Will the redesigned newspapers still have separate editorial content. Do they have separate editorial content now?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It will allow them to share selected pages seamlessly. One paper does, say, a MLB page, and another paper can simply drag it onto one of their pages. Tribune Company has been doing it for several years.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sacramento threw open its e-edition for free today to let everyone see its new look.

My thoughts: It isn't as bad as I feared. Some days will still have four sections, others will have three, and Sunday does not change. Today's paper was 38 pages online, last Tuesday was 34. My fear was that it would be some sort of paper-thin product of, oh, say 16-20 pages.

I still think you can't pull this off in certain markets. Maybe a modified version of it, but Kansas City would have to be different. The State in Columbia, as thin as that staff just got, those papers have solid sports sections.

11. HanSenSE

Fresno put out its first dead tree edition today. A bit of a disappointment.
    Three sections: Main news, Insight (a hybrid lifestyles/comment section), and, yes sports. Spot color section headers on the two inside sections, with teasers on top of those.
    Front page today was dominated by the death of David Potter. Twin skybox/phot easers and three photo teasers on the right rail. Was broadsheet today, same narrow width.
    Still curious to see what goes on in sports. They sent their columnist to the Rockets-Warriors game and it's a busy day with final four in prep softball playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted