1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kent State: 45 years ago Monday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 3, 2015.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was in 10th grade. I remember watching the news that night in disbelief, and kids wearing black armbands to school the following day. King assassination, RFK assassination, Kent State, Jackson State, South Carolina State killings all with roughly two years ... a pretty crappy time in US history. I think the Civil War might be the only time in US history the country was more fractured and divided.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kent State was the beginning of the end for the antiwar movement, because the Nixon administration made it clear it would shoot to kill.

There were a number of less-organized and less-impressive war protests after that, but attendance fell off like a brick when it became clear the administration would shoot to kill.

It's easy to march and sing and wave banners if the worst you think you're going to get is a snootful of tear gas; it's a whole nother deal when the bad guys are shooting with real bullets.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fuck those hippies

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Boy the way Glenn Miller played.....

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

So the White House dispatched the Ohio National Guard and told them to shoot? Haven't heard that before...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know the old saying, "Only Nixon could go and shoot college students."

doctorquant likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hope you guys saw the PBS doc on the Kent State shooting last week (I think it was called "The day the '60's died")

It was excellent - I learned so much.

Had no idea that troopers killed a kid at Jackson State as well. What a fricking wild time.

Aaaand Nixon beat McGovern by about 500 electoral votes two years later.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What did Nixon have to do with Kent State?

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Between Altamont, Kent State and the U of Wisconsin Bombing, that eight months really flattened the factions of counterculture and the visibility of the anti-war movement.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In the aftermath he called the students (including the victims) "bums" ... To this day I'm relieved he didn't call them thugs. :p

old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted