1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They say you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, May 4, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

People nowadays can't take a joke. Or at least it seems that way. Too damn sensitive. You would think that with all the diversity, we would actually learn to develop the ability to laugh at ourselves more frequently. But no, it's apparently not working that way. Which makes me wonder - is the country more racist today than it was, say 50 years ago? Certain practices, like segregation, have certainly been outlawed. But human behavior on the other hand... seems to continue to be more unaccepting of others' views, maybe moreso. Don't want to overgeneralize and trivialize this, but it does make me wonder.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I find that my ability to laugh at myself, or anything else for that matter, tends to improve when Adam Sandler isn't involved.

jackfinarelli likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There are extras from Grown Ups 2 and Blended looking aghast and saying "you mean we could have just walked off the set?"

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They did. It was called A Million Ways to Die in the West. It was among the worst dreck Hollywood has ever produced.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Laughter of any kind requires funny to make it happen. Get that part first, not the offending somebody part.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Nothing about A Million Ways to Die in the West was similar to Blazing Saddles other than the Western backdrop.

There are a lot of movies you couldn't make today. 48 Hours jumps to mind. I seriously doubt you could make Fast Times or Heathers.

JC likes this.
  8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Million Ways totally felt like a reimagining of Blazing Saddles to me. Madcap western chock full of jokes (albeit unfunny ones) playing off racial stereotypes. Plot doesn't matter.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Lemme guess ... you're a white guy?

"C'mon Native Americans. I know you've been shit on in pretty much every way imaginable, stripped of your culture, stuffed into tiny plots of land where the government sometimes physically stole your children away and purposefully handed you blankets infested with small pox, but hey, learn to laugh at yourselves."

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm in no position to tell people, particularly minorities, what should or shouldn't offend them, but it doesn't seem like the intent was to make Native Americans the butt of the joke.

Much like the slurs and whatnot in Blazing Saddles weren't to cut down blacks, gays, etc.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bingo.

This came up a few years ago when Sandler did "I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry" about two bros who gay-marry for benefits. It was, in addition to the offensiveness, a pathetically horrible attempt at humor.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

But there's still no way that movie could ever be made now.

Draft saved Draft deleted