1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gas question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 3, 2015.

1. I have a Ford F150 .. I've been using 87 Octane.
    But my truck is flex fuel and can run on 85 octane. I've never tried it, but given the price (way cheaper that 87), I'm tempted.
    Any experiences?
    Fuel mileage? I get about 17 MPG now.
    Engine life?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You can expect 20 percent less gas mileage with FlexFuel. After doing the math, I don't think it's worth the possible reduced engine life.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not 85-octane, it's a mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. There's a sensor in your fuel/emissions system that detects it and adjusts the air/fuel ratio to compensate. To get an equivalent level of performance, you have to run a much richer mixture, so unless the price disparity is substantial, you'll probably have a hard time even breaking even. What I've read suggests E-85 has to cost about 28% less than regular gasoline for using it to pay off.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I ran a tank of E85 through my Buick Verano. The performance difference was barely perceptible, but mileage dropped from 26 to 17.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You can't run E85 in a car that's not FlexFuel equipped, can you?

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

E85 = snake oil.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think so.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I guess you could if you reprogrammed the power control module ... but then you'd have to reprogram it (again) if you switched back.

Just as an FYI, if your flex-fuel sensor goes bad, you'll get a 'Check Engine Light' that might prevent you from passing inspection. This is true even if E85 isn't available in your area. What you can do, however, is buy a sensor bypass (around $100) that's entirely legal and takes care of the fault. With that installed you can't use E85, but replacing it can run you around $600.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I've never owned a FlexFuel vehicle. But I agree with Leno that ethanol is a bad idea. It's stupid to burn your food anyway, it raises corn prices in the Third World to unaffordable levels, it destroys small engines, and it kills your gas mileage by whatever percent the mix is because the ethanol part doesn't burn in a regular engine. Among other things.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Pepto Bismol sometimes helps.

Oh. Not THAT kind of gas question.

Draft saved Draft deleted