1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much do online media writers make?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jtc, Apr 17, 2015.

1. jtc

jtc New Member

I've been asked to include in a job memo how much I'm looking for and, like many people who post similar stuff in this forum, I have no idea what to say. I don't want to negotiate against myself but also don't want to go overboard. I currently have a good job in the industry with salary/benefits and about 5 years experience, and they know that.

The gig is at an online-only "daily magazine and digital media company" (they aspire to be like a local version of Buzzfeed type place), and the sports gig there would be a one-man-band reporter/writer/editor. I can't imagine they have a ton of money to spend on staff given ad-only revenue.

How much is reasonable to ask for/expect from a web-only publication? $25,000? $35,000? $40,000? What have other people experienced or heard for a ballpark figure?

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

Why don't you at least ask for what you're earning now -- more, actually, because you're currently getting benefits, and you'd be taking the risk by going to a newer "aspiring" place... and you'd be doing your own editing there.

Don't assume they're low-budget. Online-only places don't have nearly the overhead costs that paper publications do.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

NOT $75 an hour.

If it's a general-interest news outlet, the wages you're quoting sound pretty optimistic.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If they want you to work full time, I'd ask for at least $35,000 with health, dental and vision. That's the very least I'd ask for. If they can't do that, they don't want to be taken seriously.

Steak Snabler and FileNotFound like this.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would not put a figure on the form if you can get away with it. It doesn't help you in any way.

Time for that is when they want you for the job.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

We ask what you make (made) at previous jobs, and our backgrounding company verifies that. We also ask you to fill in a requested salary but really don't expect that to be completed.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What is a backgrounding company, and how does it verify salary history?

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Write "negotiable."

Draft saved Draft deleted