1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Calvin Peete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Always liked Calvin -- he had a great story and that weird swing with the bent arm.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

That weird swing made him one of the most accurate ball strikers on Tour, if I remember correctly.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He hit about 80 percent fairways off the tee in his career, which I think is all time best. I think about that stat when I send one into the woods, to tell myself to relax as it happens at least once a round to every pro.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here are the numbers: he led the Tour in driving accuracy 10 years in a row, from 1981-1990. His lowest percentage was 77.5. His best was 84.6. Average was .819. He won 11 of his 12 tournaments from 1982-1986. No one won more -- not Watson, Nicklaus, Faldo, Seve, Norman or Kite -- during those five years than Peete did.
    When he won the 1985 Players, he hit .875 of his fairways, which has been matched by Love in 1992 and Norman in 1994. He hit 12 of 14 fairways in the final round, shot 66, did not make a bogey and stuffed it to 2 feet at No. 17.
    Developed a lot of shoulder problems that shortened his career. Unbelievable he never won in 158 Champions Tour stars.
    I've never read anything bad about the guy. From all accounts, a good player and a better gentleman. Hardly had a country club upbringing. Grew up on a migrant farm and didn't pick up a stick until he was 23.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

ed
    Yeah, that's the great story I alluded to. Used to sell stuff to migrant workers. Had diamond chips implanted in his front teeth -- the people he used to sell to called him Diamond Man. I want to say he started playing when he went to a function at a golf course with some of his friends and was told if he didn't play, he'd just be sitting around waiting for everyone else, so he went out on the course, hit the ball around and got hooked on the game.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He had a son who played football at the University of Virginia.

Two of his victories came in back-to-back years in Williamsburg, Va. I followed him for one of those rounds. My gosh he could hit a ball.

RIP.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Twelve tour wins in eight years.

That's pretty darn good.

RIP

- It was not pretty until that club head started coming down. Man, was he smooth through the ball.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Watching that reminded me how much I love the hat.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Based on the rule of threes, we should be worried about...Tiger?

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Jim Dent's still kicking it...for now?

Draft saved Draft deleted