1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She throws a perfecto and loses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

HS Softball Pitcher Strikes Out 23 Over Course of Perfect Game, Still Loses | Bleacher Report

California high school pitcher finishes the game striking out 23 of the 24 batters she faced and takes the loss.
    After playing to a 0-0 tie through seven innings the teams went extras. High school softball rules there state that to start the eighth the opposing team starts with a runner on second base. She has a wild pitch and the runner tries to advance. Catcher overthrows the ball to third, allowing the run to score. She retires the rest of the side and then her team fails to score in the bottom of the inning.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No-hitter, not perfect game. Run scored on overthrow, which I assume is an error. Should've been, anyway.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think the runner took third on a wild pitch and scored when the catcher threw it into the outfield trying to get her.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it had been a straight steal of third and home, would have been a perfect game.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The pitcher didn't technically allow a runner to reach base, though, right? Isn't that the definition of a perfect game?

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Correct.
    But do the rules of a perfecto change when the runner is already on base?

7. LongTimeListener

Yeah.

If they didn't have that runner-on-second tiebreaker, softball games could last 100 innings.

8. JackReacher

I would think so, yeah.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why? She retired every batter she faced. That's a perfect game.

10. JackReacher

Oh. Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry.

I just meant that the runner on base shouldn't be charged to the pitcher, thus spoiling the perfect game.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

But she gave up a run, albeit unearned, and that runner advanced on a wild pitch. I don't think a game with a wild pitch can be perfect.

12. LongTimeListener

I don't know that the rules of scorekeeping have ever addressed this, since they were hatched with baseball which does not put a runner at second just to get the game moving.

It seems to me that nobody reached base on a batted ball, therefore perfecto.

Draft saved Draft deleted