1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baltimore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 27, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Melting down on live TV...

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My wife's cousin is a Baltimore City EMT, which is already a pretty damn scary job the other 364 days a year. Hopefully he and the rest of them are staying safe today.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well then, let's watch!

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

CNN has shown one police car torn to shreds and another set on fire.

Can only imagine it will get worse after the sun goes down. I'm not sure how close the center of the protests are to Camden Yards, but given what happened the other night, I don't think I'd want to be at the game, which starts in less than two hours.

The Police gave the protestors "room" to destroy property on Saturday night. Tonight's violence was planned in plain sight on social media. Yet, somehow the Police weren't ready for it. I don't know if they didn't want to show too much "force", but they've let things get out of control, and it's a Monday before sun fall.

It's going to be a long night.

At least the media should be able to cover it tonight, as opposed to Saturday, when they were all celebrating themselves, and didn't even subject the WHCD to the split screen treatment.

6. YankeeFan

Whatever they do, I hope Baltimore doesn't break out armored vehicles, and police in military style gear.

THAT will encourage violence.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

#StaysafeWhiteSox

8. Mr. Sunshine

Baltimore could use some leadership right about now. I also have an idea on settling things down. Ask every "protester" who Freddie Gray is. The ones who don't know either go home or get arrested. That should leave about a dozen people.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

No sign of police as businesses are being destroyed/looted on live tv.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wolf Blitzer needs to retire. He's terrible. Though I'm guessing he must own that CVS given how much he's bemoaning what is happening there. He's doing a pretty good Les Nessman Turkey Drop impression. The stuff they are showing on CNN is occurring NW of downtown. I'm surprised CNN hasn't thrown up a map. Shouldn't be too tough to show where the looting is happening. And it's mostly juveniles doing this.

11. Mr. Sunshine

No-win situation. Either the cops engage and get accused of being the bad guys, or they stay away, let the "protesters" do their thing and then get blamed for not protecting the neighborhoods.

12. YankeeFan

So?

I'm not even sure this is true at this point, but how is it a mitigating factor?

Draft saved Draft deleted