1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Periscope

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by BB Bobcat, Apr 22, 2015.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this. If there are any fellow Windows Phone people out there (Bueller? Bueller?), there's a "Telescope for Periscope" out there now. It's still in early stages of development but is supposed to allow for live broadcasting soon.

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Yeah I think there's something like that for the Android market but I haven't checked it out. I did it earlier today and did some NBA pregame stuff. The unique appeal about Periscope at the moment is that people want to explore the app and are willing to watch anything that is on.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So true about "watch anything". I fried some bacon this afternoon, set up my phone...and had 25 people watching.

Jim Luther Davis likes this.
  4. MeanGreenATO

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

She should have known better. I know from covering the Big Ten school around here in the late part of last decade that they strictly patrolled for any live audio/video streaming. They always had a statement in bold at the top of the day's press packets with something of the effect that live updates, streaming, video is prohibited and could result in removal from venue and future barring of credentials, etc. I'm sure the PGA has something of that effect on the credential itself. The punishment may be a bit severe, but isn't the PGA known for being a serious bunch when it comes to this stuff?

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

What the hell did she stream on a Monday that would get a credential revoked? The tourney ended Sunday, no?

7. MeanGreenATO

I'm with Rhody. I think it was a bit harsh. So with that in mind, yesterday I asked before a NBA team's media official about using Periscope during warmups. League told him there can't be "any live video that's not a less than two minute television hit." I could easily see that changing in the future, though.

8. I use periscope and have gotten some good reaction using before and after games. A lot of PR depts are becoming quickly educated on it. I would say it could be a great tool for guys covering preps or minor league sports and don't have to deal with the TV contracts being an issue. For NBA their rules are you can use periscope before andf after games as long as you aren't in the broadcast. Shoot Arounds, and practice are also okay unless if you're told otherwise.

9. Rhody31

If you cover pro anything, I'd check with whoever you need to to make sure you don't get a credential yanked.
    Remember when the NCAA tried to prevent writers from live tweeting? Periscope is gonna get that treatment at that level too. I don't see a benefit to Periscoping live game play because, in theory, you're supposed to be paying attention, taking notes, etc.
    I'm curious about the Wei thing because I want to know what it was. I'm also all for having her credential yanked because she was totally careless. She could have avoided the problem by asking a PR person. She decided her rules superseded the PGAs and based on her rep, I'm not surprised.
    Just ask first, or get something in writing that explains what you can and cannot broadcast and keep a printed copy on you at all times.

10. Rhody31

Watching MayPac on Periscope, FWIW

Jim Luther Davis likes this.
  11. JustinLee

JustinLee New Member

Does anyone have any examples of some of the different ways sportswriters are using Periscope? Who are some folks that I could follow that are using it?

In theory there are obviously a ton of things you can do with it, but I'd like to see what some are doing in practice. I can't really find anybody that's been doing much with it, and obviously the search function on the actual app is less than great.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

When I created my account it was linked with Twitter so periscope automatically showed me all the people I am following on Twitter who are also on periscope. So I followed a bunch of them on periscope and I get an alert when one of them is broadcasting.

Draft saved Draft deleted