1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No more aspartame in Diet Pepsi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A certain segment of society forever surrenders its right to bitch about climate change denial:

Pepsi to ditch aspartame in Diet Pepsi

Utterly ridiculous.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Diet Pepsi sucks.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Instead of aspartame, Diet Pepsi, Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi and Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi will be sweetened with a blend of artificial sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame potassium in the U.S.

Well, that definitely makes it healthier.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So as someone who clearly hasn't been following this - why is this a thing? Why do people not like aspartame?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously. ... Ace K (acesulfame potassium) was discovered accidentally in a lab in 1967 and occurs nowhere in nature, let alone in the food supply of humans for millions of years. What could possibly be wrong with ingesting it over and over again?

6. Dick Whitman

Because the Mommy Brigade thinks that it causes cancer.

It doesn't.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Thanks!

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I find it pretty funny that consumer demand did what consumer demand does -- it effected change. ... diet soda sales across the board are down, and diet pepsi in particular saw sales decline by more than 5 percent last year.

So the company responds by replacing the Frankenstein ingredient invented in a lab in 1965 (aspartame) but keeping in something that was accidentally discovered in a lab in 1967 (Ace K).

I'll be curious to see if this really helps sales.

I am sure they will plaster "Aspartame free!" all over the label.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Pepsi should put "taste free" on the label instead -- but only because putting "tastes like ass" would be truth in advertising.

FileNotFound and Vombatus like this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that health concerns were at the root of aspartame-sweetened drinks' difficulties. What I had been reading was that people had just really grown weary of the taste.

11. Dick Whitman

I'm not sure where you had read that. It's my understanding from everything that I've read that they were under intense pressure from the Internet Mommy Brigade to STOP CAUSING CANSER!!!!111

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

And autism, don't forget that. Diet Pepsi definitely causes autism. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw [redacted] pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Draft saved Draft deleted