1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor needed

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jon Alverson, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jon Alverson

Jon Alverson New Member

Two basketball teams made the state final four, one football team made it one game shy of the north half championship and two baseball teams played in the state finals in the last year. From big schools to small schools both private and public, the coverage area of the Delta Democrat-Times is a sports editor’s dream. The chance to get to know the best athletes in the Delta and some of the best coaches in the state is difficult to pass up. We are now accepting resumes to fill the position of sports editor at the Delta Democrat-Times. The paper won best sports section in the state in 2013 and numerous awards in 2014 so we only want the best and brightest. Time spent on the staff of a daily newspaper or as the sports editor of a weekly or bi-weekly paper is a must. Salary is $30,000 - $32,000 based on experience. Benefits include company-match 401(k), health insurance and paid vacation. To apply send resume, clips and three references to jalverson@ddtonline.com.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

A location would be nice

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Greenville, Miss.

A pretty good stepping stone job for someone who is single, but if you have school-age kids, don't bother. The public schools absolutely suck there and the private schools are prohibitively expensive.

4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

We've got location.....now how about some information about the job itself

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn, guys. Do some digging and figure it out. Delta Democrat-Times + Google = answering your own questions. JMFC.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think it's so much that they couldn't figure it out as much as busting chops because it's info that should have been included.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nice work. You're hired!

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed the sarcasm, but that information need not be included. If you're interested, you'll figure it out.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's just 15 minutes from Lake Tahoe.

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Most of the pertinent information is there.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It is, but should an editor be satisfied with most of the pertinent information being in a story? Or enough for readers to figure it out? A job posting from a newspaper ought to meet the same standards.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm always hesitant to even apply for a job when I see blatant typos in a job ad. I'm not talking "i before e" (although that's bad, too). I've seen "Your" instead of "You're" and misused "there/their/they're."

It's one thing to make those mistakes when hastily typing on a message board. A job ad is essentially a cover letter for the employer, no?

I feel the same way on grammatically-correct, yet still poorly written ads.

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted