1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yinzers, Question for You

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JC, Apr 21, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If I were to leave Pittsburgh International around 6:00 PM on a weekday, what are the chances of making it into PNC for opening pitch for a 7:00 PM start? I would have to find parking and grab tickets at the gate as well, is it worth the effort?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are you walking off the plane or driving away from the airport at 6 p.m.?

If your car is leaving the airport at 6 p.m. there is a very good chance you will be seated and watching the first pitch by 7 p.m.

Even if you do miss the first inning, still go. It's an amazing park. Just by a walking around ticket or a nose bleed ticket and walk around.

3. 93Devil

Be sure to get a ticket ahead of time because they might be selling out.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Driving out around 6. Not sure I will buy a ticket beforehand in case there are any delays with my flight.

5. 93Devil

Is that the only night you have a chance to go inside the park?

What night of the week are we talking about?

6. 93Devil

If it's a weeknight, you should be able to get in no problem.

A good weekend game might be harder.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Only in town one day and it will be a weeknight.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you're not slowed at all by traffic and "around 6 p.m." doesn't mean 6:15 or 6:20, at worst you should be able to settle into your seat while they're still in the first inning, and I give you decent odds to make it before the first pitch. As others have noted, your chances of success probably depends on how much time you need in order to grab a ticket. Since you'll be getting there late, you also might have to walk a few blocks from wherever you park.

Sit near the Pirates' bullpen; you might be asked to warm up and go get an out or two.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you're willing to buy cheap tickets, that decreases the importance of getting there by first pitch. Even if you're there by 7:30, that's probably only the second inning.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Unless the Fort Pitt Tunnel is a nightmare you should be able to pull this off. One trick is to park downtown where the garages are cheaper and then walk across the Clemente Bridge to the game.

11. 93Devil

If you don't have to be there for the first pitch, you should walk across the bridge anyway. It's a great walk.

Draft saved Draft deleted