1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock & Roll: Dead?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Dick alluded to it on the Green Day thread. I admit I don't know a lot about popular music (except that it's almost always dull and/or shitty when I hear it), but outside of Jack White, is there a popular mainstream rock 'n' roll artist or band that isn't a decade or five past their prime? Are my children destined to grow up in a world in which rock 'n' roll is niche music? Is rock dead (or at least on life support)?

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know. In a way, because I'm a sad old guy, I like that rock is becoming a niche genre. I go to maybe one or two shows a year now but even with new bands, the venues are full of folk in their thirties and forties... Just like me!

To steal a line from Chris Rock, rock and roll means you never have to worry about being the oldest guy in the club.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've been enjoying some of the new prog/psychedelic rockers, such as Tame Impala, lately.

The Australia-based group just put out a new single (online only):

The new song ("Let it Happen") is a bit more synth-oriented than their previous CD, Lonerism, but we'll see what else they come up with for the new album.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

ISC and I have the same playlist, I suspect.

In addition to Tame Impala (who, along with St. Lucia [who sound like the rebirth of The Human League/ABC] won raves at Coachella), some elder statesmen -- like Paul Weller and The Manic Street Preachers -- continue to make rock 'n roll.

(To wit, Weller's latest is his best song in years:
    )

Meanwhile, plenty of rock 'n roll continues to be made in Jack White's adopted hometown of Nashville, by bands like The Kings of Leon and The Black Keys.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Both of those songs suck. :)

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jack White has never had a top 40 single. The White Stripes had one, "Icky Thump."

Granted, rock has long taken a back seat on the top 40 to disposable pop. Zepellin had six top 40 singles. Skynyrd had five. The Grateful Dead had one, just like the White Stripes.

I don't have the numbers to back it up right here, but it seems pretty clear that young people just aren't into rock any more. It's dad music now.

I'm not saying it's artistically dead. There are plenty of good acts beating the bushes. But it's done as a dominant cultural force. Done.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Yeah, what the fuck does the top 40 have to do with rock?

I would say White is a pretty significant cultural force.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Rock and roll tours are still among the highest grossing tours every year. U2 and Bruce Springsteen are the two that come to mind immediately. Shit, the Rolling Fucking Stones still outdraw most other musical acts these days.

While it may not be mainstream anymore, I'd argue the best rock and roll was never meant to be mainstream anyway.

9. Dick Whitman

Yes, you're right.

And this is a huge problem.

10. Mr. Sunshine

I alluded to the old folks in the OP.

I agree with Dick that rock has lost much of its cultural significance. I just wish there were more people like Jack White trying to keep it alive.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  11. Dick Whitman

It's not dangerous any more. It's what dads listen to. It's the opposite of dangerous.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not really. Rock and roll just lends itself to live concerts better than all of this other shit.

Because of that, it will never actually die.

Draft saved Draft deleted