1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are no words - parenting edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You'll get nothing and like it.

heyabbott and Killick like this.
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This is "kind of" how we handled my son's 1st. But not to that extreme....by a mile. Plus we didn't make it into an email.
    We just told people we would prefer books to toys and to sign the books with a happy birthday message. We were loaded up on toys and games and clothes by the time he was 1.
    Only one friend gave us a toy (they just happened to be in town that week so I was shocked they ever brought something, showing up was cool enough) and we exchanged it for other stuff without making a deal out of it.
    People are nucking futs.

4. Starman

Dead giveaway the author is one of the fucking idiots constantly sharing and forwarding batshit paranoid emails and bullshit on FB etc etc. "SHARE IF YOU AGREE"

FWIW, I bet 36 gazillion internet dollars the #1 factor in kidnapping is "leaving kids unattended." Just a wild-ass guess.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'd happily get the mom a shirt with a 4-letter word across the front...

My youngest was invited to a party a year or so ago and in the invitation there was a link to where the kid "was registered"

All of the gifts were appropriately priced and I suspect the mom, who is very nice but perhaps a bit clueless, just thought she was saving us from having to ask what he wanted as a gift. It's been kind of an ongoing joke for every party since. "Yes, I am letting you know that my son will be attending the party, where is Will registered?"

6. DietCoke

DietCoke Member

I would win that bet by putting my money on, "Estranged other parent."

7. Starman

Factors #1 and 1A. Factor 1A doesn't work unless Factor 1 is already in effect.

With the exception of course if the estranged parent directly seizes the kid from the custodial parent, and when that happens you probably have a pretty good idea of where the kid is.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I am not kidding - if I got some drivel like that, I'd send it back with a note -- "Your son is destined to be a pussy"

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with this generation of parents?

I'm so glad my kids are all done playing sports and in college.

Last year my daughter was a senior and so I still had to go to events and games she was involved in and parents are just fucked up -- and the younger the kids (in general means the younger the parents) the more fucked up they are.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You folks are missing the worst.

What the fuck is a "Fill in the Missing Cheerios Book?" I'm guessing it's a way to assure the country's grain-based obesity epidemic continues ahead full-throttle.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree with about 1/10 of 1 percent of what you say here. But I can't disagree with much of this.

It's brutal to be a parent in 2015. My wife and I were at lunch yesterday, and she was fretting about "not measuring up" to other 2015 parents. ("We haven't even been to Disney World yet! I'm embarrassed to tell people that!")

I said, "Do you really want to measure up to these people?"

SFIND, Mr. Sunshine and bigpern23 like this.
  12. Starman

My siblings and I generally do exchange gift-list emails in advance of birthdays and Christmas, but rarely are any gifts listed more than maybe $25, and never ever is there any condescending explanation of why you should NOT buy a particular gift. Nor is there ever any big offense taken if people deviate from the list.

Draft saved Draft deleted