1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. I don't think SnapChat can do much for journalists. But it is cool how some outlets are featured on the "discover" page, like ESPN, where you can click their SnapChat Story and get filled in on the day's events.

Twitter's new baby is Horoscope, though. That I can see helping in journalism and allowing you to broadcast a game, board meeting or things like that.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You mean Periscope?
    Here's the issue - if you tried to do of any televised event, I'd think you'd open yourself to a lawsuit. What I think newspapers should do is use it as an open forum for web chats. If you want to take part you can still type questions, but this way writers can put themselves out there instead of being just words in a chatroom.

3. Yes. This is what I get for posting late at night.

And to the other point: There's obviously an issue with televised events, but things like school/county/city council meetings, it can be cool. ... Or low-level high school games. Though I do hope to see some push the envelope at a big event, like the Mayweather/Pac fight.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'm actually all about Periscope. There's a lot of potential for that to be useful. I've toyed with it a decent amount and wonder if it is worth its own thread on the board.

5. I agree. But I hate how, by default settings, it gives push notifications whenever someone you're following is on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted