1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Stanley Cup playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Any puck heads left here?

PICKS
    EAST
    Rangers over Penguins in 5
    Capitals over Islanders in 7
    Lightning over Red Wings in 6
    Senators over Canadiens in 6
    WEST
    Predators over Blackhawks in 7
    Wild over Blues in 6
    Jets over Ducks in 6
    Canucks over Flames in 7

Cool to see a lot of Canadian teams in the fold, though I doubt this is the year one finally breaks the jinx and gets to the Final. Penguins seem to be a total mess. Every Caps-Isles game has been tight this season, and I don't expect this series to be any different. I haven't watched as much of the West this year, being a Washington fan, so my guesses are not that educated. Everyone seems to love the Wild, so I'll jump on that bandwagon.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I haven't watched a single Caps game this year (I'm a great fan!), but I'm really trying to talk myself into watching their playoff run, as short as it will probably end up being. I've heard Caps-Islanders should be a good one. Pretty evenly matched.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've only watched about 60 of them. Ha. It'll be a battle of the Caps' newfound heavier style against New York's superior speed. The Caps have one of the best power plays in the league, the Islanders one of the worst penalty kills. So that will obviously be a key thing to watch. Really like Washington on the back end this year. You couldn't say that in the past.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well, if you find yourself up my way while the Caps are still playing, holler. First, second, and third beers are on you.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The Capitals losing to the Islanders in the first round where they have home ice would be a very Capitals thing to do.

Wild card in the West has to be Kane. If he's back and effective early in the opening series, Chicago has the talent, experience and goaltending to win it all again.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

EAST
    Rangers over Penguins in 5 --- could be 4 the way these two are playing
    Capitals over Islanders in 5 --- Isles have really seemed to slow down over the second half
    Red Wings over Lightning in 6 -- the Datsyuk difference
    Canadiens over Senators in 7 -- will be an epic battle for eastern Canada bragging rights

WEST
    Blackhawks over Predators in 6 -- going with the playoff experience
    Blues over Wild in 5 -- is it time the Blues make a deep run to the Cup?
    Ducks over Jets in 4 - because I'm an Atlanta resident
    Flames over Canucks in 6 - because Vancouver just feels like they have the Tin man syndrome

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Caps' home-road splits are nearly identical. I kind of wanted to pick Washington in six, but I'm not sure the Isles drop what would be the final game at Nassau. Then again, they just blew the final regular-season game at Nassau, so who knows?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

EAST
    Rangers over Penguins in 5 -- Penguins were falling apart. I watched most of the Rangers games this season. They are fast and handle their business.
    Capitals over Islanders in 6 -- Isles were getting everyone on LI charged up this year. But they finished the year off. They will win 2 on adrenalin--the crowd at the Coliseum will be up for this--but ultimately fold.
    Lightning over Red Wings in 7 -- Will be a closer series than a lot of people think. Tampa is going to have to work.
    Senators over Canadians in 7 -- This may surprise people and be the best series of the first round. I'm going with the upset. Ottawa is a gritty team.

WEST
    Predators over Blackhawks in 6 -- Nashville is the deeper team. Chicago has more punch up top. I can see this going either way, but Nashville had too good a season for me to have them out in the first round.
    Wild over Blues in 6 -- Another collapse. Minnesota is better rested and has had great goaltending.
    Ducks over Jets in 5 -- Getzlaf and Kesler.
    Flames over Canucks in 7 -- Back and forth series. My guess is Calgary looks like it is trying to lose it a little less.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is the Rangers' year. The Cup hits Broadway.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think all the "experts" -- I've watched a lot of NHL Network lately -- are seriously overestimating those teams that surged at the end of the season. I'm talking Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, maybe Minnesota. I've seen it lots of times with teams that head down the stretch with the feeling that "every game is a playoff game for us." Then when they actually make the playoffs, the balloon bursts and they lose their edge.
    Every "expert" I've seen is picking the Jets because of one guy, Byfuglien. The Ducks have some of the best depth in the league. If Byfuglien can counteract Getzlaf, who's going to counteract Kesler? And if the Ducks put their defensive focus on Wheeler-Ladd-Little, who else is going to score for the Jets.

Blues over Wild in 6
    Blackhawks over Predators in 7
    Ducks over Jets in 5
    Canucks over Flames in 6
    Canadiens over Senators in 5
    Lightning over Red Wings in 7
    Rangers over Penguins in 5
    Capitals over Islanders in 6

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Beware the Hamburglar!

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I hope you're right. Besides Kane coming back, a boost in production from Patrick Sharp would be welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted