1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Driver shot and killed after hitting and killing toddler

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In Milwaukee.

Two-year-old at a birthday party darts out into the road, driver hits and kills him.

Apparently, then, someone exacted immediate revenge and killed the driver.

Somehow, in all of this, the 15-year-old brother of the dead toddler was also shot and killed. It seems to be an afterthought in every story I see, but it's the piece of this crime puzzle that doesn't seem to make much sense.

Tragic all the way around, obviously.

Driver Shot, Killed After Fatally Hitting Toddler Was ‘Distraught’ and ‘Trying To Do Right Thing’ | WNEP.com

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My guess is that the scumbag who shot the driver also blamed the older brother for letting the kid walk into the street. How horrible, though.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My body went numb while reading that story. Just awful.

4. Dick Whitman

I'm scared to even find out how they were related.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I'm constantly amazed that toddlers or really young kids aren't hit more often. We have neighbors whose 3 and 4-year-old are constantly playing in the road. Family has five kids, the dad is never home and the mom has been described as "in a neverending state of post-partum depression"

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Story reminded me of the poor bastard who ran over John Gotti's 12-year-old kid in Howard Beach about 25 years ago. They didn't kill that guy right at the scene, though. They waited a couple of months.

7. Dick Whitman

We don't yell much in our house. But you set a fucking toe in the street, young man and young lady, and the non-aggression pact goes out the window quick.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There are a dozen or so kids (ranging from ages 5 to 10 maybe) who play in the street in my neighborhood every afternoon, and I'm stunned one of them hasn't been injured. It's only a matter of time. Just darting around willy nilly while people are coming home from work, popping out from behind other cars. Scares me sometimes.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yep.

Yep.

10. Dick Whitman

There's also some research recently that child accident injuries - not just car accidents, but generally - are on the rise again after years and years of trending downward.

I'm sure you can guess why.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Fraternities ...

12. RecoveringJournalist

We're the same way. We live on a corner lot and there is a teenager who whips around that corner on a regular basis. He almost hit a neighbor's kid a few weeks ago. It was almost a blessing that my kids saw that happen because it reminds them not to go into the street.

Draft saved Draft deleted