1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

lower case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by trifectarich, Apr 12, 2015.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

How much can you ignore the fundamentals of the English language just to be a bit edgy? I see the headlines that go with the daily photo slideshow at the hometown paper of the Masters, the Augusta Chronicle, are all lower case:

* spieth takes a lead into sunday
    * tiger says he has a shot
    * rose catches fire late

I'm not a fan.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

What about NCAA tournament instead of NCAA Tournament?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

tournament. The official name of the event is the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship, which is way too damn cumbersome.

So tournament is lower case.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

i am like omg and smh.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The millenials are ruining America.

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

This can happen when copying/pasting headlines from Quark, too. If you use an all-caps font and put in your headline without capitalizing, when you go to copy headline for online it will be all lowercase. If you don't catch it while uploading, that's what you'll get.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I agree, but always see it capitalized and it drives me a wee bit nuts.

8. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

AP's new style is to capitalize tournament after NCAA.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which is wrong. I also hate the "new" style (though I think they made the change several years ago) on email sted e-mail. It is electronic mail. A hyphen situation if ever there was one.

10. What I don't understand is why a lot of writers, particularly well-known ones, abandon using upper-case on Twitter. Bomani Jones and Shea Serrano are two that stick out. It's not a good look, in my opinion.

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Posting from their phone?

12. Don't all smart phones have spell-check? And automatic-capitalization when you start a new sentence? I know iPhones do. It literally takes more effort to intentionally not capitalize than to capitalize in 2015.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted