1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Poin File pioneer, and still going strong

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Update story out about one of the original teacher-student sex scandals (at least original in terms of broad media coverage) -- Mary Kay Latourneau. For those who may have been in school themselves at the time and aren't old enough to remember, Ms. Latourneau was banging a 13 year old, got pregnant, went to jail, violated parole by banging the kid again, (and getting pregnant again), eventually serves her time and ends up marrying her prized pupil.

Now, some 17 years later they're still together.

Mary Kay Letourneau Fualaau, Vili Fualaau Detail Their Path From Teacher-Student Sex Scandal to Raising Teenagers - Yahoo

Lots of photos to choose from, but going with the current family shot with their two teenage daughters:

MKL.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Her face belongs on the Poin Mt. Rushmore.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She could get some high school action still. Very impressive.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Maybe not her face.

Captain_Kirk likes this.
  5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wonder if her daughters think twice before bringing boys they're dating by the house.

Batman and DeskMonkey1 like this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Remember, folks... She was able to snag him without texting or sexting!

She was the Jackie Robinson of her kind.... they broke the mold after her.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I read the story. I call complete bullshit on the four abandoned kids being okay with all this.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Latourneau's father was an ultra-conservative politician who was kicked out of the John Birch society for being too extreme

John George Schmitz (August 12, 1930 – January 10, 2001) was a Republican member of the United States House of Representatives and California State Senate from Orange County, California. He was also a member of the John Birch Society. In 1972 he was the American Independent Party candidate for President of the United States, later known as the American Party.
    Schmitz was notable for his extreme right-wing sympathies. By one measure, he was found to be the third most conservative member of Congress between 1937 and 2002,[1] and the ultra-conservative John Birch Society, of which Schmitz was a longtime leader, later expelled him for extremist rhetoric.[2]

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One, he'd fit right in today; and two, not mentioning him in the lead graph as the father of Mary Kay Letourneau is extreme Wikipedia fail.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

also, Schmitz ran for President in 1976

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I also remember him in the headlines in the early to mid '80s when, after constantly speaking out for 'family values,' it was found out he had a woman or two on the side. It wasn't until years later I found out Latourneau was his daughter. I detested what she did, but after hearing of her family history, I could at least see how she could end up doing that.

And, poindexter, point taken on the kids, but I do remember reading about their wedding and the story said at least two of her daughters were part of the ceremony.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ya' know, clearly what they did was illegal, but to last this long there must have been more there. Not saying that's right or wrong, just that it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted