1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice For Those Starting Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SholdMediaGroup, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Hi all,
    I run a website aimed at helping young media people with advice and tips on how to break into the business or advance their careers. I'm looking at posting more articles with just that, more advice.

This is where you come in. I have created a page on the site with a survey of 6 career/advice questions attached. If anyone has a few minutes, I'd really appreciate it you would answer 1, some, or all of the questions. I know a lot of our readers would really benefit from your words of wisdom.

Thanks!

Answer here:
    Shold Media Group » SMG Media Survey

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

My advise? don't

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. What would you tell your 18-year old self about this business?

Stay the fuck away. Stick with math.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'll give a real answer. You want to write? Write. Then write some more. Just as important? Read. Then read some more. But, for the love of god, stay out of this business. Unless you are the best or luckiest (And I'd lean toward the latter) you will hate this career, particularly if you have any intentions of having a family or at least a normal social life.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You want my advice?

Go back to Bulgaria.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

6 all the way.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't go. Stay at home. Let your parents take care of you.

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

This may be the only profession that the veterans discourage young people from getting involved. If it's so bad, why are you still in the industry?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not. Got out four years ago. Many of those saying get out have gotten out as well.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If you hate America so much, why don't you leave?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

Yeah, like da man, I'm gone too. Enjoyed the hell out of the first 15 years in the business. Then it collapsed and it isn't the business anymore.

12. LongTimeListener

You should talk to doctors, lawyers, police officers, teachers and those in plenty of other professions.

Draft saved Draft deleted