1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scientology doc on HBO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 30, 2015.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Any one see it? Comments?

In addition to the obvious mind-control/paranoia/retaliation common to cults, you had to laugh at the public events that would put Amway to shame and the "auditing" that looked like it came out of a bad knock-off script of the Manchurian candidate.

And, Jesus, can Tom Cruise be this fuckin' dumb?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No.
    None.
    Absolutely.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What struck me was how creepy the leaders are and how instead of trying to strongarm enemies and be bad asses, they just annoy and/or litigate the hell out of you.

What a bunch of creeps.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's out already. I thought it came out in the end of April.

I can't wait to see it.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Read the New Yorker article, and working on the book it is based on.

Lawrence Wright, the writer of both, said it was the most fact-checked, lawyer vetted piece that he had ever worked on and I think Remnick said no piece they had done in his time there had gotten more pushback.

I will get around to the seeing the doc, but I suspect it won't present anything new, just an on-camera rehash.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

One of the funniest Lovelines ever was after Dr. Drew called Scientology a "cult" and a couple days later, the church sent a scripted apology for him and Carolla to act out on air.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Several (i.e., > 10) years ago, Time did a Scientology piece as its cover story. As I recall, the author led her story with a really telling angle: Literally within minutes of its finding out about her working on the story, the CofS, hiding behind a rent-a-mailbox, ran a full-blown credit check on her. This was followed up by all sorts of inquiries. She knew about these because she'd been told this was how they work and already had some sort of alert system set up.

Those folks are creepy. Scary, scary creepy.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Tolerance.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I read the book and thought it was fantastic. I am HBO-less, but looking forward to the documentary. David Miscavige is evil.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Another one who read the book. Miscavige is freakin' terrifying.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dyno and HC, your phones are now tapped.

Dyno and HC like this.
  12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

All religions believe in some pretty funky things.

On a cooking blog, they had a recipe for roasted lamb but it also gave Kosher instructions, which were to have the butcher remove the sciatic nerve from the roast or cut it out yourself.

The nerve of the Jews not to eat nerve, not that you would eat nerve, as I think it would cook up like gristle in a piece of meat.

But I have no idea why nerves would be forbidden.

Draft saved Draft deleted