1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama football player arrested for DV for 2nd time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He was dismissed from Georgia after similar charges less than a year ago:

Alabama defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor arrested on domestic violence charges | AL.com

Nothing will happen to Saban over this of course, but will be interesting to say if he issues a mea culpa this time after saying in February that the guy deserved a second chance.

As an Alabama graduate and state taxpayer, this is sickening and embarrassing to me. The guy should have never been on the team or in school in the first place, but we all know what this school and this state's priorities are.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

"arrested for ..."

sigh

3. Steak Snabler

Whatever. If he didn't do it, I'll go back and change the subject line.

And there are only so many characters available on theses headers.

4. franticscribe

It's just a fundamental rule of crime reporting that you don't use that construction and this is still nominally a journalism board.

Riptide likes this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"charged with"

Same character count.
    Doesn't convict, etc., etc.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

FWIW ESPN.com phrased it the way Steak did. Doesn't make it right, of course, but that distinction has definitely gotten lost along the way.

7. Steak Snabler

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

First time I've seen DV used as an acronym for domestic violence. (Certainly won't be the last.)

9. franticscribe

ESPN regularly gets it wrong in headlines. Drives me nuts. The distinction hasn't changed one bit, it's just in the modern era where people are posting things online with little or no double-checking by someone else, sloppiness gets through. That so many are careless with it does not make it any less dangerous.

Steak said he'd change it if the guy doesn't get convicted. Well guess what? A low percentage of these kinds of cases result in conviction. News outlets - and others - that are sloppy with their word choice on something like this run the risk of dealing with a libel lawsuit.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As usual, respondents miss the point. College 'educator' and state employee recruits thug, endangers others, bears no responsibility. Yay for grammar!

11. franticscribe

I didn't miss the point, I just didn't care to address it. Sorry for expecting people on a journalism board to have a basic understanding of journalistic writing.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Double quotes there, not single quotes. Thanks.

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted