1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS makes student with Down syndrome and autism remove varsity letter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 27, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jerk move. I can't even get my son to wear his letter jacket that we paid for.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Would he really know the difference?
    [i'll find my way straight to hell]

JackReacher and spikechiquet like this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I literally just finished checking out for the first time the Little League complex a few blocks from our new house. My favorite memories of childhood revolve around my dad teaching me to play baseball, so as I drove through this place, I thought about teaching my son to play ball (he'll be old enough to start playing organized sports in a couple years) and it made me smile. However, this complex was nicer than anything I had at my disposal growing up. It even included a freaking indoor "training center." It was just a reminder that the culture surrounding athletics these days is grossly out of whack. A part of me can't wait to play catch with my son and hit him grounders and fly balls, but another part of me would be perfectly happy -- relieved even -- if he decides sports are not for him. This story is terrible, but not surprising given the overimportance too many people place on things that, ultimately, should be fun -- and memorable, for the right reasons.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The over-reaction by the mother is more troubling, had she not overstepped in the first place, the kid probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Good to see KSN "reached out" to board members (what a cliche, stupid TV term).

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

This reeks of "everybody gets a trophy." That said, what's the big deal, Mr. Principal? So some parent thinks the kid with Down syndrome is tarnishing the accomplishments of her little precious. This kid will probably never come close to accomplishing something of this magnitude so why take it from him?

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You can be competitive AND compassionate.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kansas is getting Florida-like in batshit craziness.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Maybe. But sounds like she didn't know any better. Probably should have just framed it at home or something. Why don't give all the non-varsity kids a different letter? Well, the same letter, but a different size/color. My HS did a large, white and blue-trimmed letter for varsity and a gold and blue-trimmed letter for JV that was smaller. Easy, peasy. But leave this damn kid alone. What's the big deal?

spikechiquet likes this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen, if you are parents you should all be packing and moving to this school district today, for this Principal had no failing students, no students dropping out, no students who are not meeting minimum requirements on standardized state tests, no budget problems, no bullying issues, no teachers fucking their students and no pregnant students. They have no drug problems, no alcohol problems, nobody is sexting and none of their kids have been killed by drunk driving. Everything here at Poontown High is so hunky-fucking-dory that THIS - some poor kid who will be lucky to get a job at Wendy's someday wearing a fucking patch on his jacket - is his sole concern. Must be an amazing place.

11. Jesus Fucking Christ! It's a HIGH SCHOOL Letter jacket!!!
    What is the big deal?
    Really?

Yeah, maybe it's a everybody-gets-a-trophy but it's a jacket. A HIGH SCHOOL jacket. It's not Notre Dame football. Hell, it ain't even Permian.
    Dick move by the principal and staff.
    I'll take this over letting the special needs kids score a touchdown or basket any day.

12. And OBTW ... How did the kid's mom get hold of the letter? When I was in school the coaches and AD gave them out.

Draft saved Draft deleted