1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survivor: Worlds Apart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 26, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Surprised there hasn't been a thread yet this season. Decent season so far, despite a dearth of eye candy. The White Collar, Blue Collar, No Collar theme worked pretty well initially and they've kept things moving with one merge already and another one coming next week.

Nice job this week by Big Mike and Sierra flipping on Rodney's plan and voting out Joaquin, who was the lynchpin for an alliance of three with Rodney and Tyler. If you played a drinking game and had to take a shot anytime the word "Bro" was said, you'd have passed out during the scene between Rodney and Joaquin.

I always say it ... Never, ever, ever throw a challenge. Never. It's never a good idea. Never.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The eye candy isn't terrible.

Not a bad season, but there are usually a couple people to root for or root against, and I'm not sure they've emerged yet for this season. I have not watched this week's episode yet.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I like Joe the most, along with Jenn and Kelly.

The douchery between Rodney and his buddy "Wok" was off the chart. The look on Rodney's face after the vote was priceless.

The editing sure made it seem like Rodney would be gone. Whenever someone talks so much about being in charge and feeling safe, it's usually foreshadowing that he/she will be voted off.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Here we stand,
    Worlds apart, hearts broken in two, two, two
    Sleepless nights
    Losing ground, I'm reaching for you, you, you ..."

Oops ... I'm getting my 1980s bands confused ... ;)

5. bigpern23

Hali is the only attractive one. Sierra has a nice body, but I don't find her very pretty and she's not particularly likable. Jenn's funny, but again, not very pretty. No one else is worth mentioning. From an eye candy standpoint, this is a pretty weak season.

Rodney was so baffled by what just happened, it was great. I thought it was interesting that he acknowledged he talks like an idiot but, yet, he still talks like an idiot.

I thought it was obvious Joaquin was going get booted. He was just as cocky about feeling safe, saying it was going to be a cakewalk like five times, I turned to my wife and said "He's going home." It was smart, too, to boot Joaquin because he was tight with Tyler and tight with Rodney, but you don't get the sense that Rodney and Tyler are tight at all. They essentially broke up two pairs for the price of one. They also may be able to talk Rodney back into the blue collar fold (as they did Sierra), whereas Joaquin never would have been a good ally to them.

They'll merge next week and if I were on the show, I would try so hard to form a secret alliance with Dan and Rodney and try to somehow get them to the final three with me. They wouldn't get a single vote.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

?
    Jenn, Hali and Sierra are all good looking.
    Jenn is en fuego, actually.

Even tattoo-face girl was pretty.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am in the Jenn camp too. That fucking postal worker needs to keep a shirt on and shut the fuck up.

8. bigpern23

I don't want to be the guy getting into breaking down the looks of each woman, but I'm just saying this group is pretty low on the eye candy totem pole. Even if you find Jenn, Sierra and Tattoo girl to be gorgeous, this cast still doesn't compare well to the better Survivor casts. Hell, even my wife thinks only Joe and Joaquin can be counted among the eye candy for the ladies.

Compare this season to Survivor: Caramoan, for instance. I remember that being a cast pretty well loaded with eye candy, so I looked them up. Corinne, Brenda, Andrea, Hope and Allie were all better looking than anyone but Hali on this season. Hell, Sherri was fairly attractive for an older woman.

9. bigpern23

Another strong episode last night, particularly the play by Jenn at Tribal Council. It's interesting the way the three tribes worked out in this season because they're all kind of still viable. In previous seasons with three tribes, it seemed like one always got wiped out pretty quickly.

Now there are four No Collar, three White Collar and four Blue Collar left in the game, which presents the possibility of some fascinating game play. Mike is playing a much better game than I expected after the way he was freaking out about everyone's work ethic early on (I still wouldn't have thrown the challenge, but he may make it work). Looks like it's going to be a good stretch run.

Getting Joe out as early as possible should be everyone's goal. You don't want him going on a run of immunity challenge wins. I'm not sure if Joe is strategic enough, but if I were him, here's how my ideal end game would work:
    • Bring Rodney and Shirin into the fold with the No Collars to begin voting out Blue Collars.
    • When the game reaches eight players, convince the No Collars that Rodney is loyal and the power couple of Tyler and Carolyn must be broken up.
    • Vote out Tyler.
    • With Tyler gone, separately promise Shirin and Carolyn a final three spot to vote out Jenn, then Hali.
    • Vote out Jenn.
    • Vote out Hali.
    • Now you have Rodney, Will, Carolyn and Shirin left, so you convince Rodney and Will that the two No Collars must be split up.
    • Vote out Carolyn.
    • Win final immunity, take whomever you want to the final for $1 million, or ...
    • Don't win final immunity, play the loyalty card with Will and Rodney, whom you have protected, and convince them Shirin could win so she must be voted out.
    • Vote out Shirin.
    • Win $1 million.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember the last time someone actually played an idol that changed who got voted out. Usually idol holders flap their gums to let people know they are untouchable (and one of their allies gets gassed instead). Smart move. Will has always struck me as a guy who will make a decision that will determine who wins and doesn't win. Rodney is a loose cannon who will get cut loose sooner rather than later.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Will's decision to flip makes no sense. Sure he was probably fourth in the pecking order on the no collar tribe, but he's sixth at best among the blues. Not sure why Carolyn and Tyler joined with the blues instead of the nos.

I'm pulling for Joe, but he's going to have a hard time making it until the end.

Rodney and Will are probably the people you want to sit next to at the end.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Will switch made no tactical sense.
    Carolyn and Tyler's choice made no tactical sense.

I hope Jenn wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted