1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scott R, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Scott R

Scott R New Member

The Columbia Daily Tribune is seeking a full-time reporter to cover Columbia and surrounding area high school sports in Mid-Missouri. Cover events, develop feature stories, and contribute to our strong online presence. Ideal candidate will have newspaper experience and be adept at social media and digital news.

Email resume, writing samples, and salary requirement to srinehart@columbiatribune.com

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I never understand giving a salary requirement. So you put too much and you price yourself out of the job? You put too little and when you get the job they shaft you of what you are worth.

awriter likes this.
  3. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'm with you on that. I never mention my salary requirement. If we get to the interview phase, then we can talk about that.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's basically so if you give a realistic number as to what you should be paid or what you should make as a college graduate in a working industry, they can politely say no and base it on that as opposed to saying the schmuck with no qualifications was what they were looking for.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

How do you guys handle the question when asked in an interview what salary you want?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Say with a smile that you're sure they have a budget and that you don't want to negotiate against yourself, so why don't they throw out a number.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I tell them what I make at my current gig, and say since it costs money to move, I will need a salary at least a little higher than that.

Let's face it, in this business, your best (and often only) chance at a "raise" is when you change jobs.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When I used to hire, I had a lot of entry-level candidates. If I had someone with experience, or considering a move, I would tell them the salary in advance as to not waste their time and mine if it wouldn't be enough money.

9. johann

johann New Member

Agreed. It is better to not be the first to mention a number.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

If they're seriously interested in me, then let them throw out a number. I'm not going to risk undercutting myself, salary-wise. If that takes me out of the running, then it's their loss -- not mine.

11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Bingo. If they're interested in you, they'll bring up salary first.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I haven't lived in Columbia for a billion years but I still take a peek at the Trib during football season. Not to sound like a cliche, but who's leaving?

Draft saved Draft deleted