1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Significant changes' coming to sports entries for AP Stylebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Mar 23, 2015.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I hesitate bringing this up, considering the number of people for whom a stylebook is merely a suggestion, but this:

‘Significant changes’ are coming to AP Stylebook’s sports section

Announcement to come Friday during the American Copy Editors Society convention. AP editors will reveal “changes in the 2015 AP stylebook, including significant changes to the sports category,” according to the convention program. The new stylebook will be released May 27 -- and presumably the new style guidelines as well.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Red Sox Nation" will now be called "Douche Central."

The University of Kentucky should not ever be referred to as a "university" or a "college."

Songbird likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Can they be any more monumental
    than the big, bold move to "underway"?

I mean, golly, how could they?

4. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Wonder if it's OK to start using The Ohio State University?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Or The U.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

To save letters, they should refer to professional teams by the city's three-letter airport code: TPA scored in the bottom of the first, but SFO won it in the ninth before heading off for a series against MKE . . .

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

More exciting, waiting for May 27 or for Ted Cruz to announce his candidacy?

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Are they finally going to make it a requirement to refer to the SEC as "the best college football conference, regardless of who is currently national champion"?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Will they refer to college athletes as student- athletes or athlete-students.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"Beginning with the 2015 football season, all references to teams will include city/school and mascot, and all references to players will include first and last names, nicknames and Twitter handles."

SEO, baby!

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I didn't even realize they had made that change. How long ago? Thanks.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted