1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Norm MacLean

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wow. I don't think the man ever missed a daytime press conference in NYC.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Subject of some of the funniest threads on here back in the day. I guess heaven needed someone to finish all of its buffet leftovers. I didn't know the man well, but I was around him a bit in a previous life. He was always one of those topics that made me feel more connected to people on here.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I searched his name on here, and he came up on some threads around 2008, 2009. I couldn't find the post, but wasn't he the one someone quipped had tried to take someone's iPod, but gave up and returned it after he couldn't find the slot to put the cassette tape? Or was that Sid Hartman?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I go back to 2002 with this site and I wanna' say we averaged a Norm MacLean/Mark Madden/Rob Rossi sucks thread at least once a month, if not more.

R.I.P. to a guy who unintentionally provided some great laughs here.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sometime in the 1980s, I was in the cramped Shea Stadium press box for the first time. A foul ball came screaming back and a tall, rangy guy tripped over a divider in the front row and knocked over two people as he aggressively tried to catch the ball. When he missed, he knocked over someone else as he tried to grab the ball before it bounced out into the stands. It was chaos: Papers flying, drinks spilling, people desperately trying to save their computers from crashing to the floor.

"Who is that?" I said to anyone.

It was Norm.

I later saw him in the press room at Madison Square Garden, wearing a winter ensemble that included a plaid flannel shirt with a sports jacket and sneakers that had the laces wrapped around the high tops about four times.

He was a unique and ubiquitous part of the NY sports scene for a long time.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Could always count on this guy to grab all available food and whatever else wasn't nailed down in a press box or media work room.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Holy crap, awesome graveyard of ex-members. And boots showing why he is the best troll.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The first time I encountered him was at the NHL All-Star Game in Detroit, right when Joe Louis opened. The pre-ASG dinner the night before was black tie. After the dinner, the hotel bar was filled with tuxedo-clad hockey players. And there he was in his rumpled suit, hitting on every girl in the place, asking every girl to dance and even dancing by himself when the ladies declined.

Draft saved Draft deleted