1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The harshest headlines you've seen...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RecoveringJournalist, Mar 20, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't want to pollute what could be a really good thread about the OKC Media and the Thunder, but that Mr. Unreliable headline was one of the harshest headlines I've seen.

I'm wondering what other ones are out there. They can be justifiably harsh or as people called the Oklahoman headline "unduly harsh"

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

During the 1995 NBA playoffs, the Orlando Sentinel used "Choke Classic" after the Magic lost in Game 2 of the first round. The Magic went on to the Finals that year.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Come on, that "Roasted Nuts" headline is the runaway winner.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When Steve Young finally got the 49ers to the Super Bowl, the San Jose Mercury News' headline was "Joe who?"

Those in the office that day say the number of angry calls reached five figures.

6. RecoveringJournalist

When Florida lost to LSU awhile back, one of the papers had a huge pic of the coach, which at the time was Zook, hanging his head with HUMILIATION! across the top.

It was awesome and the AD went ballistic.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I wrote a takeout about the futility of the two Division I men's basketball programs in town -- one in its first year in D-I -- in advance of their first meeting, which was given a rivalry nickname and a barrel trophy. In this year, both schools -- conference foes -- were a combined 1 - 30 or so and had RPIs in the bottom four.
    I got a lot of good stuff from both the coaches -- one in his first year -- and the players with whom I spoke.

The headline: Bottom of the Barrel (clever, I still think).

Neither coach was real pleased next time I caught up with them.

Songbird likes this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This does not surprise me a bit. Know a former SE in Gainesville, and sounds like he spent as much time getting ripped by Foley as doing his job.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Years and years ago, Bethune-Cookman basketball lost by 50 or 60 to Arkansas and one of the Arkie papers referred to it as "Buffoon-Cookman."

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That was in a BS column in the Morning News.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Early 2000s, after a few Wide Right games between Miami and Florida State, the Seminoles lost a last-play game on a kick that went wide left.

It Ain't Right

12. RecoveringJournalist

That's damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted