1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advertising on a web site

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by Rhody31, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So I have a little side project I kind of do as a goof. It's more fun than anything, but I live tweet a reality competition show, write recaps and it's picked up a small but loyal following.
    The page design is so basic. I did it on WordPress. What I like is I can see my clicks, so my question is when do I think about getting advertising and how in the hell do I do it?
    On show nights, I get 600-700 hits and for a week I'm around 2,500. The numbers aren't huge, but they're bigger than my former newspaper did and they have all sorts of shitty online ads.
    I'm not looking for a huge payday, just something that might make me enough to pay for the booze I drink during the show.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My guess is if you are able to get some ads, you might be able to get 1/2 a penny per click....so like $12.50 a week? Maybe?

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I look at this way - free money.
    I think I'm going to try the next season. I need to switch my site from WordPress to another provider. That will be Step 1. Step 2 ??? Step 3: Profit.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

When I did this a few years ago there were some ad companies where you just sign up and put their code on your page and they serve the ads to your site and pay you based on the views.

I don't remember what it was called and there are probably different ones now, but that's the easiest way to do it.

Don't plan on making any real money. But good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted