1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Joel Reichenberger, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Joel Reichenberger

Joel Reichenberger New Member

We're looking for a sports reporter. Here's the official word:

The Steamboat Pilot & Today, an award-winning daily newspaper in beautiful Northwest Colorado, is seeking a sports reporter with news reporting experience and strong photography skills. Prior daily newsroom is a plus. This beat primarily covers prep sports, snow sports and outdoor recreation. There is also some school reporting required. The successful candidate must be highly organized and deadline-driven with online reporting, social media and enterprise reporting skills and a desire to connect with readers on multiple platforms. The right candidate is capable of producing at least 12 stories a week, many on deadline. Email resume, cover letter and clips to lschlichtman@SteamboatToday.com. No phone calls, please.

Salary: $30,000-$35,000

I'd be happy to answer any questions. In short, we cover a lot of preps, but there's a tremendous amount of variety in what we do. There are two of us who primarily do sports, so we stay plenty busy.

Softball and bar trivia skills are a plus. Please send video of softball skills.

Joel Reichenberger
    Sports editor
    Steamboat Pilot & Today

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

These guys cleaned up at state awards a few weeks ago for their circulation category. Some really beautiful design work, too.

Joel Reichenberger likes this.
  3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Should only people named Sally apply?

TGO157 likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Happy to answer inquiries as well.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This looks incredible, and it's a decent wage for most comparable positions, but is it realistic to live as a single journalist in a resort town? Do you pretty much have to find a roommate or turn your couch into one of those airbnb spots?

6. Joel Reichenberger

Find a roommate is the most common answer.

It's definitely an issue. Rents were considerably lower the last couple of years thanks to the local economy, but they've really spiked in the last 6-10 months. A one-bedroom condo is renting for $1,000 a month now (I had a friend just rent out her condo for that a few days ago. I think she was asking $700 or $800 for the same place two or three years ago.)

Many of the single reporters do have roommates these days, though. There, you could probably find something between $400-700 per person. That's still far from ideal, I know. There are two communities about 30 minutes from Steamboat itself that traditionally offer cheaper rent, but I think rent and real estate in one has skyrocketed, thanks, I think, to a strong marijuana growing industry there.

April/May is the ideal time to get into town, though, as the place clears out in the shoulder seasons.

Beyond that, things like food, beer and gas are a little more expensive, but not insane.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Is it still owned by the family that owns the Lawrence J-W?

8. Joel Reichenberger

It is. In Colorado, it's Steamboat and the Craig Daily Press in that small chain.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This paper staffed the Winter Olympics last time around, so it might be small but it has some ambitions.

Also, because of Secret Santa I've seen some print copies. It is a really good looking paper.

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Does Rickey the Dragon hang out there?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

On a side note, his real name is Richard Blood. Or, you could call him Dick Blood.

Talk about your missed opportunities.

Carry on.

12. Joel Reichenberger

Thanks, Jay.

We don't get to Denver for the Broncos or anything, but yeah, I was one of two we sent to Sochi and we cover most big events in the mountains if we have local athletes involved (X Games, Dew Tour, World Champs in Vail, etc.) It's definitely a fun part of the job. I think we've staffed the last four Winter Olympics, but there's no guarantee on that stuff. (Knowledge of the Korean language probably won't be a factor in the hiring, basically.)

As for Rickey the Dragon, this float that a local family made is the best I can do. They made one, sold it a year or so ago, and made another to trot out to Fourth of July parades and other events.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted