1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Oliver brilliantly takes down the NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Mar 16, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Agree or disagree, I thought this was a great presentation:

Inky_Wretch and HC like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't know when I will have time to watch it, but I always find it funny when the NCAA talks about how the kids are student-athletes, and then players on Final Four teams miss the equivalent of several weeks worth of classes.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

He's the second coming of Jon Stewart. Just TAKING DOWN and SKEWERING everything in sight! GO GET EM, KID!!!!!

Songbird likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's so biting, and funny.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

John Turturro plays him in the movie.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Glad he called out the creative accounting schools use to claim athletic budget losses. Few things more galling than claims of poverty by schools handing out multi-million dollar salaries like gumdrops and building facilities so obscenely lavish they'd make an Arabian sheik blush.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a good thing he is around to call out the NCAA. Otherwise, who would know it's a racket?

Fresh.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, not really.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I can't wait for next week's brilliant double-feature takes of 1) Pedophiles suck and 2) Cancer is bad.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, but finding out that Dabo Swinney is an anagram for Soybean Wind was worth that 20 minutes.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

For all of us, yeah. But I bet a large chunk of his audience and tons of people who don't pay attention other than to fill out a bracket and toss in a fiver this week have never given it any thought.

EddieM likes this.
  12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I applaud them; the more someone exposes the fraud that is the NCAA, the better. You see Napier talking about being hungry, Sherman pointing out how he's got to take a full course load while simultaneously fulfilling the team requirements, then contrast that to Emmert polishing his "student-athlete" crap. Beautiful.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted