1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Mar 14, 2015.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

DePaul is the first opening at a high major with Oliver Purnell resigning today. Seems like a good enough reason to kick this thread off.

Oliver Purnell resigns as men's basketball coach at DePaul - Chicago Tribune

Indiana seems like the most intriguing potential opening. Situation seems to be getting untenable in Bloomington. Of course making the tournament and a decent run could buy Crean a little more time.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What the hell happened with Crean and Indiana? He seemed like such a perfect fit, and had early success. I take it recruiting did him in? What's the story?

3. franticscribe

Everyone was patient through the rebuild post-Sampson, but then once he got the recruits in they didn't get much to show for it. That's probably the real root of the problem. The combo of off-the-court problems with players, Crean's unseemly recruiting tactics and the team not performing up to expectations are why people have the pitchforks out. Of course delusional IU fans think Brad Stevens is going to come home and be their savior.

Crean got the dreaded "vote of confidence" from the AD last week.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Crean is a good enough recruiter to have a team with a Wade or an Oladipo/Zeller combo every so often, but that's only way he can win big. Two or three NITs for every good or great season won't cut it at IU.

Purnell should have stayed at Clemson. He’s the second guy in a row who is actually a pretty decent coach to flame out at DePaul. Somebody is going to have to cheat like hell and get some good Chicago recruits to ever turn it around there.

5. franticscribe

I agree he should've stayed at Clemson. Really seemed to have turned the corner and had them consistently making the NCAA.

DePaul should be easier to recruit with the new arena opening up in 18 months or so. It seemed like Purnell had gotten the kind of talent you'd want in the last few years. As a Butler fan, I watch a good bit of Big East basketball. Billy Garret Jr. and Myke Henry can both play.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I could see Dana Altman jumping from Oregon for the right job. He's a good coach, but the fan support isn't great, there have been off-court issues with some of the players he's brought in (it's never good when you are named in a lawsuit and you counter-sue) and I just get the sense that he belongs at a basketball school.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Georgia Tech will probably open up, but the consensus seems to be that they can't go big financially. I think they're still paying Paul Hewitt's buyout.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He can play but he can't spell.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I wonder if Ben Howland gets a job this year.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

DePaul seems like a fit for him.

11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Brian Gregory has a few years remaining on his contract, too, at more than $1 million per year. So that will really limit what can happen there. Not sure I could see Tech hiring the guy from down the street at Georgia State, but he has done a fine job there and probably wouldn't be expensive.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

After that conference championmship game, Starman begs to differ.

Draft saved Draft deleted