1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UW Football Beat Writer - Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/job-listings/1615604

Company: Wisconsin State Journal
    Position:
    UW Badger football beat reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified

[​IMG]
    Description:
    The Wisconsin State Journal, the state’s leading newspaper for coverage of University of Wisconsin sports, seeks a full-time reporter to cover the Badgers football team. This reporter must be able to break news online, write compelling news and game stories on tight AM deadlines, produce unique content for multiple Web platforms, and deliver enterprise and magazine-style pieces that give readers new insight and perspective on the highest-profile sports program in Madison.

The successful candidate will be well-versed with social media, able to engage readers through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, live chats and video. In addition, the successful candidate will have a strong understanding of journalistic ethics, AP style, accuracy, sports rules and concepts, statistics-keeping, interviewing skills and relationship-building with sources.

To be considered for the position, applicants must have at least three years of reporting experience, preferably on a college football beat. Applicants must apply online at http://bit.ly/1E0x39T or at http://jobs.capitalnewspapers.com. Enter as a potential employee and search for jobs in Madison, WI. No phone calls or emails, please.

In addition to a resume with references, please provide five samples of your work, and a cover letter answering the following questions: What have you done to increase creativity on your beat? What have you done to engage your audience? What areas of our coverage could be improved?

The application deadline is Jan. 28, 2015.

Wisconsin State Journal

1901 Fish Hatchery Road

Madison, WI 53713

Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer

Pre-employment drug testing applies

2. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Wow. Yeah this is a must apply for me.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

With the application date past, wondering if anyone heard any updates on this one.

4. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

"Filled" by keeping the guy they "temporarily" promoted there. This happens so often, yes?

6. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Permanently filled, I suppose.

7. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Does that mean a preps position is coming open there?

8. Madison Sports

Madison Sports New Member

Yes. Will be posted next week. 30 hours, all writing/multimedia, no desk work. From columns to gamers to issues to features to blogs. Key preps position (with big shoes to fill).

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

If it were truly a key preps position, it'd be full time.

In all seriousness, I hope an enterprising newcomer jumps on it and does a bang up job. Just rubs me the wrong way when I see publications hype up a position and then say, "Oh, it's not full time".

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I do think the same thing, Solo. Why isn't this a full-time position? Just curious.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

The more news organizations shift to a digital focus, fewer resources will be used on preps. Outside of the south, web readership for preps isn't good in most markets. Not enough ROI for a lot of papers to throw more money at it than they have to.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Which is really funny, because preps are a major focus at our shop. Just us, though. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted