1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weirdest, strangest, scariest thing you've ever seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Not a Poin files addition.

A simple question, which I hope will net some interesting answers.
    What's the weirdest, strangest or scariest thing you've ever seen? UFO?
    Bigfoot?
    Deadly Car Crash?
    Wild animal encounter?
    Chance encounter with Johnny Depp in the woman's bathroom of a WaWa?
    People of Walmart?

When I was seven I saw a playmate kill a rattlesnake with hoe as it raised up just a few feet from his dad's knee cap. Terry and his family lived behind our house about about 1,000 yards through some woods.
    "Terry! Get the Hoe," he hollered, while we were playing in the shed. "Oh man," he said, bounding to his feet. We went outside, around the corner of the shed and I saw the snake - of which I am deathly afraid - raised up just a few feet in front of Terry's dad.
    My mom has pictures of the aftermath.

I know this nothing earth-shattering, muchless surreal but its the only rattlesnake I've seen in the wild.

I saw a drowned woman pulled from a river (stood in line to perform CPR on her)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

so its Sunday morning about 11am, I am sitting on my couch watching TV with the window of our 8th floor aparment behind the TV when I see something that looks like a body go right passed the window. I go down and outside and on the small wall between the building and the sidewalk, directly below our window, is the body on a male, bent backwards over the wall. its a 26 story building. Suicide

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

One summer during college, while working for the Ohio Department of Transportation, witnessed a guy die. Coming back from painting a state garage, he hydroplanes and went into the ODOT van in front of our van. We got out, saw that all our folks were okay, then checked on him, in his car, overturned in a ditch half filled with water. A couple of us got in the ditch, lifted the car enough that he was no longer submerged, but he was long gone. Still often think about that seemingly slow-motion skid, the collision and pulling him out of the water. It's been 20 years.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Without anesthesia, I had an operation on my penis. Scarred me for life.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Standing on my porch with Valmont and JonJon one warm night when we see a car move slowly up the side street.

Cuts the lights and turns the corner, where gunfire erupts from the windows into the house two doors down.

After the car speeds off, the neighbor runs out of his house, stops in my yard and opens fire at the car with a handgun.

South-central L.A.? No, but close. Eastside of Riverside, Calif.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The inside of a man's scrotum.

I also lived in a legit haunted house or at least I thought it was legit.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Saw a guy collapse and die in the seat in front of me at a baseball game.
    He was old and heavy-set, had been watching the game with his shirt off.
    EMTs tried to revive him, but no go. He didn't turn blue; more of a sickly yellowish tint.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I saw a guy get shot in a 7-11 parking lot in Florida. Apparently, it was a botched drug deal. I was in my car getting ready to leave. I heard the first shot, which apparently missed and I saw the second shot which hit the guy.

I called the cops as I drove off. The guy who was shot lived.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So did I.

I was only a few weeks old at that time, and some old guy kept chanting some weird chant. A whole bunch of people seemed happy afterward.

cyclingwriter2, MTM and bigpern23 like this.
  10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I witnessed an auto accident that killed two people.

It was Easter Sunday night and a Navy man was speeding, apparently returning to base in a rush to make curfew.

An older couple and their son were on there way home from picking up the husband at the hospital.

The Navy man was in the right lane, drove up behind my car, passed me, immediately returned to the right lane, moved to pass the next car, but when he tried to move back to the right lane, he clipped the front of their car with the rear of his.

Their car turned 90 degrees to the right and went straight off the freeway into the trees. Both people in the front of the car were killed instantly and the passenger in the back seat was severely injured.

We stopped and my friend jumped out of the car and went up to theirs. I admit I was scared to do so because I thought it might blow up.

We were interviewed by troopers on the scene and again a couple of weeks later. It was like it was happening in slow motion when it was really happening in full speed ahead of us.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I once shot a man in reno just to watch him die.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Saddest: I evacuated the remains of four of my friends from a horrific helicopter crash. Ozzie 76 was the call sign.

Strangest: I watched from my helicopter an enemy fighter disappear after being hit with a Hellfire missile.

Scariest:
    And it ain't even close.

Draft saved Draft deleted