1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sam Simon, co-creator of The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was given six months to live a few years ago. He used to be on Stern all the time. Just seemed like a great, great guy.

Really interesting story. He wrote a spec script for Cheers and they hired him based on that.

He used to joke that his ex-wife, one of the Tillys, I forget which one, told him not to do The Simpsons, but was happy to take her half of his Simpsons earnings after they divorced.

RIP

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

For some reason I never got into The Simpsons or Beavis and Butthead much. Having stated that, I saw enough of the former to realize now there was creative genius behind it. RIP, Mr. Simon.

4. RecoveringJournalist

He didn't work on the show that long. But he was a creator, so he just cashed the checks every year.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

True. However, Simon was instrumental in the Tracey Ullman show, from which The Simpsons spun off.

6. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think he was well-liked by the other co-creators, but that's hardly uncommon in TV.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The spec script was for Taxi.

The thing with the Simpsons was a feud over who truly created it. People think that because the characters are Matt Groening's it was his show, but others credit Simon for making it what it is. Plus, from hearing him in interviews, Simon can come off as an jerk.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

The history and conflict behind the creation of The Simpsons - Vox

9. RecoveringJournalist

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

11. RecoveringJournalist

I was on a flight with Dana Gould years back. He was stunned that I recognized him. He even asked me if the friend he was traveling with put me up to it. I told him I saw him open for Dana Carvey and Dennis Miller when I was in high school and had followed his career a bit. He was working on The Simpsons at the time. This would have been 2003-04 or so. The guy was beyond hilarious.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Marc Maron and Greg Fitzsimmons both re-posted podcasts they had with Simon... Both are worth a listen.

Draft saved Draft deleted