1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Willis: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Short career, but seven Pro Bowls. Linchpin of one of the best defenses in the league during his prime.

Buying or selling Patrick Willis for Canton?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy ... I'm going to have to say no. Didn't play long enough and, although he was a great player, I'm not sure he has anything spectacular to counteract that the way Sayers does.

But I do like the thread and I think it could be an interesting debate when the time comes.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yes. Just because he was the best high school player I have ever seen and I'm friendly with his mom and dad.

Or at least the white people he calls his parents.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I couldn't pick Patrick Willis out of a lineup, so I'm gonna say no.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Willis is part of the reason I never understood why Michael Oher's was considered such a big deal. If people knew how many prominent college and NFL players were raised (or partly raised) by coaches or parents of their friends, they wouldn't believe it.

Oher wasn't even the best Ole Miss player of his era raised by white people. Willis just didn't have the good fortune of his adopted father being childhood friends with a best-selling author.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Makes sense!

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You answered your own question.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and without digging into stats, etc., my first reaction to the thread question is: No.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm going to take the first-ballot lock stance. I may waver off that if he's not retiring because of the injury.

Five time first-team All-Pro. I'm guessing there are a lot of guys in Canton who can't make that claim.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Especially not after the league expanded to 32 teams.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He's been a first-team All-Pro more times than Urlacher and Derrick Thomas. By comparison, Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary made it seven times and Lawrence Taylor made it eight.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I can see it but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I was in. It helps that he won't play due to injury instead of just falling off a cliff performance-wise. It is a really great peak -- five all-pro seasons in a six-year span and two comparable seasons to that around it. I would have liked him to get another couple years under his belt. And there isn't anything close to a comp for a defensive guy that is in.

Draft saved Draft deleted