1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taxes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't want anyone to feel sorry but I'm doing our taxes and the wife and I are salaried employees, no business deductions or ownership, no way to hide income. Between Federal, State, Local, Medicare and Social Security taxes we had over $50,000 with held from our paychecks. Doesn't include the local utility and property taxes on our house and the 6% sales tax on everything else.

FUCK THE WELFARE SOCIETY. Problem is we don't make nearly enough money to benefit from republican policies. We don't hit the social security ceiling on income. No one is going to reduce our tax bracket. We get no subsidies, reduced rates, assistance. We get shit for our money.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just tell yourself all that money went to something you like. Perhaps the military. Maybe your favorite National Park.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's a good mind trick, but you just know a good chunk of it goes to shiftless morons. Maybe even some of my relatives.

4. Welcome to the middle class.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Drinking water not laced with fecal coliform bacteria and driving on roads without 8-foot craters has something to recommend itself too.

I also like being able to walk down the street and not having to step over rotting corpses or fight off packs of starvation-crazed predators. Maybe that's just me.

I'm in my mid-50s, don't have kids, never will. My nieces/nephew attend a private grade school and public HS in a district where I don't live anymore. I've been paying in school taxes, indirectly or indirectly, for 40 years, tens of thousands of dollars in total, and yet I don't give a fuck. It's nice to be able to carry on a conversation with people on the street and get something more than guttural grunts in response. From some of them.

OH by the way, I remember when I started working in the mid-late Seventies and early Eighties. I made vastly less money than I have in recent years. Yet the tax bite out of those early teeny-weeny paychecks was massively larger (in proportion) then than what I'm paying now.

Sure in a perfect world I'd love to pay no taxes -- zero zip zilch nada. Maybe I'll move to fuckin' Somalia to live in my tax-free Nirvana.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How much of a refund are you receiving?

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Holy crap, abbott, you make a lot of money if you're chipping in 50 large a year.
    I pay a huge chunk each year due to no real deductions, etc., but I don't begrudge most of it. I do get peeved when I see "poor" people crowing about their "refunds" as they waste the money on big TVs and other crap, but the benefits of taxes outweigh the negatives.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you're edging up on the SS max as a couple, you'll be on the hook for about $40K to about $50K. That's about a 20% rate. It's a lot of money, true. But, per many 'round here, that money's the only thing standing between us and shit-infested meals and corpse-riddled highways.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Taxes pay for goods and services that you may or may not use but someone does and there's a reasonably good chance you may use those goods or services in the future.

Those taxes also keep us free, as so much of that money goes to the military.

I spend almost as much on insurance as I do taxes annually, and I get way more for my taxes. Insurance paid for two dental visits annually and one visit to a doc in a box. Woo hoo. While taxes provide a number of real and hidden benefits.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Whatever you do to make your living, how many of the people paying for your service or product are public or state employees? Teachers, policemen, county workers, federal workers, military...

Take all those customers away, then start bitching about your paying too much in taxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.