1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russell Westbrook for NBA MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Mar 6, 2015.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Is there a logical reason why Russell Westbrook shouldn't be a favorite for NBA Most Valuable Player?

Yes, I get it -- Stephen Curry has led his team to a hell of a story this season, and probably should be the front-runner.

I also get it that LeBron James is always the favorite going into the season. But if anything, from a team standpoint, hasn't he underperformed a bit?

True, the Thunder are fighting for the final playoff spot. But where would they be without Westbrook? 18-44? 10-52?

If the MVP is the top-performing player in the league while leading his team to great heights, then Curry is it.

If the MVP is the guy most valuable to his team when the chips are down (picking up for injured teammates, stepping up his game, etc.), then Westbrook deserves some votes. I mean, he's mentioned in the same sentence as Michael Jordan more than once this season.

If the MVP is the guy who sells the most jerseys or is the face of Madison Avenue, then print LeBron's name on the trophy before the season begins and give it to him.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is no logical reason, no.

That's why he is a favorite.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Often what happens is when you have two players in the same team having outstanding seasons in any sport, the two rob each other of votes, allowing a third candidate to slip through.

That may be the case with Curry and Thompson. Won't be be the case with Westbrook because of all of Durant's injuries. I would vote Westbrook if I had a vote. OKC would be last in the West without him.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Only one, that 34-28 record. Players on teams barely above .500 in the 8th playoff spot don't win the NBA MVP award. Seems to be one of those unwritten rules that the MVP's team has to have a great season too.

That said, I think Westbrook certainly is "a" favorite, along with Curry, Harden and perhaps Lebron. But if it's a close call the benefit of the doubt will go to the player on the better team.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

According to what? Everything I see has Curry as the favorite, at a little better than even money. Westbrook is around 3-1 in most places, though.

Westbrook is on a tear, but a lot can happen in the next 6 weeks or so.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It would probably make a lot more sense to have an MVP vote after the playoffs.

That said, heading into the playoffs, who is the one player you want on your team? That's your MVP. I think that would be James or Curry before Westbrook. Not by much, but valuable means more than best numbers.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He is a favorite, but he might not be the favorite.

I think it's between Curry, Westbrook and LeBron.

I'm rooting for Curry, but I'm biased. :D

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And thus the difference between "the favorite" and "a favorite." I'm jabbing Harley on a technicality.

I haven't heard a single person suggest Thompson as an MVP candidate or even in the top five. There will be no vote split.

Curry has been incredible since the first day of the season. He hasn't had many heroic moments chiefly because they haven't been needed -- the Warriors' margin of +10.1 is in the top 10 all-time. (Atlanta is second this season at +6.3.)

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My bad.

10. HandsomeHarley

I tend to agree with this viewpoint.

Not saying I agree with the logic behind it, because it changes based on the player/team (see Dawson, Andre in MLB).

I would have a hard time not voting for Curry. Golden State just came out of nowhere. But Westbrook is forcing his name into the conversation by playing off the charts and being the leader that some expected he was capable of.

11. HandsomeHarley

Now I do disagree with this statement.

LeBron clearly is one of the top two players in the league, and if age wasn't an issue, likely would be almost everyone's No. 1 pick in any draft. But that doesn't make him an automatic MVP finalist.

In that scenario, I would take Kevin Durant first. I just think he makes his teammates better than LeBron does.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LeBron is an "automatic" MVP finalist every year because he's the best basketball player on the planet.

That said, my vote at this point would be Curry first, followed by Harden, LeBron and Westbrook, in that order.

Draft saved Draft deleted