1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone have suggestions for Sydney and Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Mar 5, 2015.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

So who's been to the land down under and can offer suggestions for Sydney and Melbourne?

I've got three days in Melbourne, then the overnight bus to Sydney. Six days there.

The entirety of my plans so far are one day seeing the penguins off some island in Melbourne and one day of diving in Sydney.

I know about the bridge walk thing and opera house in Sydney, but that's about it. I've done almost zero research except to book the hostels.

Any must-dos?

Thanks.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Please visit a zoo with wombats, and get your picture taken while holding one.

And, per my avatar, sample Victoria Bitter. It's the beer of choice when drinking in quantity.

Do NOT drink Foster's. The locals actually consider it worse than Budweiser.

If you see a canetoad, kill it with a cricket bat.

You might want to find a copy of Bill Bryson's book about Australia.

Nine of the world's ten most poisonous snakes are in Australia.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, check out the Blue Mountains area west of Sydney. So beautiful out there.

Oh, and the good beers are Coopers and VB.

I was in Sydney in January 2007 for three weeks, and I would go again in a heartbeat. Just a great city in every conceivable way.

4. Vombatus

Yes, Coopers. But you can get Coopers in the States, when you get back KJIM. VB isn't available stateside.

PS. They drink so much VB, it is also known as Vomit Bomber.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Thanks. I won't be back in the States for another year, but I'm not a drinker anyway.

Knew about the snakes. More concerned about sharks. Heard there have been attacks recently.

Looking forward to sun. The diving place I looked into in Melbourne said I'd need a cold-water orientation to dive there, but I'm not paying for that. There's got to be snorkling, though.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Rugby League matches are great, if it's in season.

Depending on if you're willing to drive a little from Melbourne, the 12 Apostles are freaking majestic. Looks like it's about 2:40 mins on Google Maps. The entire Great Ocean Road is gorgeous.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Not sure when exactly you are going but a quick check of the NRL website shows that League is happening right now. I think DD made a great suggestion. I went to a couple games when I was there and had a great time.

If you are not going until later in the Spring you should try to check out a State of Origin match. The only thing I can compare it to is if you took all the pro football players from Texas and played a meaningful game against all the pro players from Florida. The game is taken very serious and it is awesome.

Along with Sydney harbour and the usual tourist stuff I would check out Bondi beach while I was there, super fun place to hang out and chill. I am not sure if it has become gentrified but the Kings Cross area at night is good/bad for bar hopping, had a few drunken stumbles.

I have to disagree with Vombatus a little bit as I would say VB is the Bud of Australia. Fosters is generally regarded as dog piss that tourists drink. VB is more of a Southern beer while the superior XXXX is brewed in New South Wales. It was a real regional thing when I was there but may have changed since.

Get a Kebab. Basically a Donair or Middle Eastern burrito that is grilled to form a tube of awesomeness. Lots of Kebab shops everywhere.

Six days in Sydney can be tons of fun but if you are looking to get away from the city and chill at a beach town head up the coast to Byron Bay, fantastic place but as said, you can have fun in 6 days in Sydney and not get bored. Only problem is that you are going in their Winter so may be a touch on the cooler side.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yes, please take me with you. :)

I've never been to either place, and they're on my bucket list of destinations to visit.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

C'mon. It's a direct flight from me. I leave Wednesday night. Or Wednesday morning where most of y'all are. It's really just a quick trip

I do love me some donair/schwarma/whatever you want to call it, so I'll be checking that out for sure. The place I'm staying to dive looks like it has lots of Italian restaurants, too. I'm right near Bondi, I think.

I really need to do some planning, but I'm out the door to Macau now. Thanks for the suggestions. the 12 Apostles and the mountains sound awesome.

10. Vombatus

Have to agree with iron_chet, I've heard good things about XXXX.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Kings Cross area is a must see.

If there is a footy game happening, check it out. The game is fun and the crowd/environment is even better.

Plenty of good seafood options in Melbourne.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just leave the wildlife alone. The deadliest of just about every species imaginable is there. Spiders, jellyfish, snakes, crocodiles ... Look but don't touch.

I'd echo the sentiment on Bryson's book. It's hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted