1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 year ago today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Read that the other day. If you can get past the descriptive road map in the beginning, it's a decent story.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember one of my friends calling me and telling me and I immediately called bullshit.

My friend said, "If I was going to make it up, I would have come up with a better player."

Loved Kimble in the tournament that year. The upset over defending champion Michigan remains one of my favorite games ever.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If they would have been put in any other bracket but UNLV's I think they may have made the Final Four.

5. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

"The Guru of Go," about Paul Westhead's Loyola Marymount teams, is one of the better 30-for-30's that never gets much airtime. Has anyone else seen it?

Without recalling the details, I remember it explaining Gathers' heart condition in unfortunate terms: that he was either prescribed the wrong medication, or that he shouldn't have been playing at all. I can't remember exactly.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No defib machine on site. Now they are almost universal at sports vecnues. Saved the life of a kid this August who collapsed in the practice gym at Microville Tech.

7. Steak Snabler

I think the deal was, the medication they prescribed him made him feel sluggish, so he talked the doctors into giving him a lower dosage.

8. JackReacher

From the ESPN story:

"He was carried outside the gym via stretcher, where he was shocked by a defibrillator that the team had purchased for nearly $5,000 after his original diagnosis."

9. Steak Snabler

Here's a clip from "Guru of Go" on Gathers' death. The footage of him collapsing is still haunting:

10. JackReacher

Interesting fact I just saw on Twitter. The day Gathers collapsed and died, Loyola was playing Portland, which had Erik Spoelstra at point guard.

11. Steak Snabler

Something else I didn't realize until reading some of the coverage today: They finished neither the game nor the WCC tournament after Gathers died (the game where Gathers died was a semifinal). LMU was given an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament as regular-season WCC champion.

12. JackReacher

I remember watching the movie they made about him, and it couldn't have been too long after his death. Was an ABC Family type movie. I must have watched that movie 50 times.

Draft saved Draft deleted