1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Email

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 4, 2015.

?

Do you use your personal email to conduct work business?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Totally just curious.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have on a few occasions when work email wasn't working.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

All the time.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, big difference when it's foreign policy and probably very sensitive info. At least FOUO if not higher. This is worse than Berger stuffing his pants.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, though not often. I didn't have remote access for the first couple of months and I did some work before my actual start date, too. Rarely.

When I was at The Times, I started building a staff and making some plans before the actual start date, too, and used my personal email. Hey, it gave me an excuse to have my personal email up at work at all times.

In the world we operate in, business and personal intersect a lot.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I was hoping for a rant against society's obsession with technology.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On rare occasions. Usually, in the former job, when contacting freelancers from home or something.

8. sostartled

sostartled Member

As a gov't employee, and because of my position (management in an agency that handles management/admin policy), I'm very aware of the rules about it and steer clear. Before I was able to access work stuff from home, I'd sometimes forward memos or projects that I needed to finish to my personal account and then send the final product back to my work account. Now that I can access it all from home, the only time I get work email in my personal account is if someone in my office accidentally sends something there instead of my work email (I've set them up so they're the same format (lastname.firstinitial@xyz.gov/com).

I can not fathom how Hillary Clinton got away with what she did. Wouldn't someone at the White House question it at some point over a three year span? Especially after all the other email trouble they've had? Just mind-boggling to me.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Same here. Had to do it on Tuesday when a correspondent's story wouldn't go through. He had to send it to my Gmail.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I submit that Hillary Clinton compromised our national security by using her private E-mail address.
    Just makes no sense other than if she wanted to avoid being subject to FOI requests.

11. sostartled

sostartled Member

I read some article that discusses that. I guess from a personal legal standpoint it makes sense. Her lawyers could argue against subpoenas, etc. But it just seems so stupid. I can understand the agency heads that use private work emails (meaning something like HRC@state.gov when everyone else has clinton.hillary@state.gov) just so they don't get thousands of emails from employees every day, but not having a gov't account is crazy. I also don't condone what Lisa Jackson did at EPA by using something like windsor.richard@epa.gov in addition to a lisa.jackson account. Just dumb.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Welcome to the most transparent administration in history.

I never use my personal e-mail for work stuff. I do, however, use my work e-mail for personal stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted