1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good thing this guy's police encounter was filmed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Mar 2, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

But for the video… - The Washington Post

Guy serves summons to police officer. Officer, prosecutor, witnesses conspire to have man arrested on battery charges. Guy had his wife and nephew film encounter, which saves his freedom.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. The video link isn't working... been removed.

But this graph from the blog post nails it:

I hope this guy hits them hard in a civil lawsuit.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

If you click through Balko's blog post to the WWL story (Good lord, do I hate Gannett's websites) there's video that has part of the cellphone shot, and a lot more details about the case.

None of the officers who filed an affidavit should still be in law enforcement. I'm sure a nasty bar complaint is headed for the attorneys.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This.

There should be a lot of ugly years behind bars for a lot of people, and they deserve every miserable day.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's pretty scary that, had this guy not thought ahead and had his wife and nephew film it, he'd face years in prison because of these people. And, frankly, there's no reason he should have been worried that handing a summons to a police officer would result in his arrest and possible incarceration. I'm glad he was smart enough not to trust these "public servants."

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I believe the blogger wrote the guy has filed a federal civil rights law suit. So, yeah, these cops/prosecutor should be up shit's creek here soon.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

It terrifies me that charges aren't being brought. I mean, this is so black and white, how can any of them still have jobs, much less freedom?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's Louisiana. 'Nuff said.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds like Obama's DOJ needs to go down there and conduct an investigation.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Send Brownie down there again.
    He did a heckuva job with Katrina.

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

That's not good enough. They could have legitimately ruined this guy's life (he would have faced life in prison due to priors) and for what? Hurt feelings? There wasn't even a financial incentive to do so.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering that, he's lucky he still has a pulse.

Draft saved Draft deleted