1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan McNabb - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 2, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Warren Moon said his name when asked which non-HOF quarterback most deserves to be in the Hall:

Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer? Warren Moon thinks so | Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

McNabb's bona fides:

He’s 11th in NFL history with nine playoff wins, and every eligible QB with at least nine wins is already in Canton. The others are Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning, who are locks, along with Joe Flacco and Kurt Warner.

He’s one of 16 quarterbacks in NFL history with 90 or more wins and 37,000 or more passing yards. Of the nine Hall of Fame-eligible QBs to reach those milestones, only three aren’t enshrined — Dave Krieg, Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe.

He’s also one of 14 QBs in history with 90 or more wins and 70 or fewer losses. Nine of the other 11 who are Hall eligible are already in Canton, with Phil Simms and Steve McNair the exceptions.

Finally, McNabb is one of 23 quarterbacks to make six or more Pro Bowl teams. Of the 18 who are Hall eligible, 16 are already in. Only Jack Kemp and John Hadl aren’t.

Discuss.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He's the only quarterback to throw up during the Super Bowl.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He has the stats going in his favor, but I don't think he'll ever get in.

He was always good, but the flashes of greatness really didn't come often enough to get into Canton.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I know you're desirous for McNabb to get into Canton, MC, but I think his numbers were inflated by Andy Reid's dislike of the running game.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is no Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson for sure.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

He was a lock until Shanahan's unbridled racism against mediocre players did him in.

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

McNabb was never a lock for the Hall. He was good, and very good for five years, but never great. In a passing era, he threw for 30 touchdowns once, the Super Bowl year when he had Terrell Owens. You can't say McNabb was ever the best at his position in any given year.

Drew Bledsoe should never sniff the Hall, either.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's not better than Phil Simms, Joe Theissmsn, Roman Gabriel, Ken Stabler, Dan Pastorini, John Hart, Daryl Lamonica, Kerry Collins, Drew Bledsoe, Boomer Esiason... The list is very very long.
    He was a good starting QB for 8 or 9 years. And that is a great achievement Nothing else

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He's better than at least half those guys you mentioned, still not a hall of famer but Kerry Collins? Cmon.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Notice most of the statistics MC listed are wins. How is it we've finally realized that wins shouldn't be such a big factor in judging pitchers in baseball, but we still have people citing them as part of an NFL quarterback's resume?

Teams win games. Playing for winning teams certainly should be part of the resume for a Hall of Fame quarterback, but not that large a part. And Pro Bowls? They've become a joke and they weren't much better when McNabb was playing.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Jay Cutler: Hall of Famer?

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a lot of very good seasons, mixed in with a great year here and there... I don't see it.

I also don't think he's done himself any favors during retirement with some of his idiotic comments. I never got the sense he was well-liked by teammates.

Draft saved Draft deleted