1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News up for sale?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by casty33, Feb 27, 2015.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

That's what I've been told, and that circulation is down from over 2 million years ago to about 360,000. Does anybody know if this is true?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was a story in either the Times or Wall Street Journal today that it's on the block, and that Zuckerman would probably have sold out to Murdoch by now except for the Justice Department blocking it for antitrust. Circulation isn't quite that bad, it's about 425,000, 580,000 on Sundays.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What was their circulation 2,000,000 years ago?

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I guess the silver lining is that people have not been given WARN act notices saying the paper has 90 days left. The articles I read said that it burns 20 million a year in losses, which is tipping money for some billionaire (Bloomberg?) who wants a vanity project. It will be interesting to see how long the Post remains a News Corporation property after Murdoch goes to his reward.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

500 stone tablets.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was a vanity project for Zuckerman, giving him credence as a public affairs blowhard he wouldn't get as just another real estate tycoon. But while the Post has a certain cachet through sheer lunacy (not meant as criticism) and is seen as much as entertainment as news, the Daily News faces the same problem my old paper the Herald does. It's aiming at an urban working class of Catholic and Jewish white immigrants that no longer exists. A News aimed at New York, city of 21st century immigrants, might have a chance, but your billionaire vanity publishers aren't really in tune with that demographic.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You get the sense that Frank does not think much of the work of the work of Mark Berman

Draft saved Draft deleted