1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P Minnie Minoso

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Another great blunder by the HOF committee.

At least we know he will be voted in next time the Golden Era meets

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

He was a baseball treasure and an excellent player but I never saw him as a HOF level player.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone who has had a loved one die knows the sadness the family must feel. RIP

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Guess we can rule out another comeback.

Not a Hall of Famer, but a fine player and a great personality and ambassador of the game.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Tough year for Chicago sports fans ... first Mr. Cub dies, and now someone who could be considered "Mr. White Sox."

RIP to a great player and personality who remained a mentor to Latin American White Sox players until the end.

6. Della9250

For those who don't see him as a hall of famer, I'd ask why?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

From 1965-1980 he only batted .1oo. :D

But a more serious answer: Played a long time and didn't reach 2,000 hits, much less 3,000, and didn't reach 200 homers. Led the league in hits just once, stolen bases twice, but also led league in caught-stealing six times. Did lead league in doubles once and triples thrice. He was good. He wasn't great.

8. Della9250

I understand that. His stretch from 51-60 is pretty stinking great. Yes he didn't have much power but a .300ish hitter, .400ish on base guy who started late because of the color barrier doesn't get dinged by me for not having the counting stats. He was playing in the Negro Leagues at 20 and his Triple-A numbers in 1949 and 1950 show he could have held his own at the major league level and probably have been around 2,300 hits just for those two years since he jumped in as a rookie and hit .326.

Cleveland was good before trading him and he certainly would have been a better outfield option that two of the three guys. The other was Larry Doby and I would put forth this possibility -- would two black players in the outfield in 1949 caused such an uproar that the Indians wouldn't/couldn't do it despite their on-the-field success?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Coulda, Woulda and Shoulda are in the Hall of Almost Great.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When the person was kept out due to institutional racism, the calculus changes.

11. Della9250

Injuries are one thing. A team's foolishness in regards to its roster (Edgar Martinez) are another -- although I don't think that should be held against him I see how others would as general circumstance. But when the rules don't allow you to play in the league and/or are unofficially forcing you from playing in the league you are capable of excelling in then that is another thing entirely.

as a "24-year-old" in Triple-A in 671 at-bats he hit .339 with a .405 on base and .539 slug, 20 homers, 40 doubles, 10 triples and 115 RBI with 30 steals, 58 walks and 66 strikeouts.
    the year before in the same league, he hit .297 with a .371 on base and .483 slug with 22 homers.

I find it hard to believe that a player of that skill set, if white, wouldn't have been on a major league club, especially one that saw two outfielders combine for 24 homers over 2,2oo at-bats in that same span. You can't tell me that a 23/24 year old Minnie Minoso wouldn't have been a better option than Bob Kennedy, who was barely league average those two years

Draft saved Draft deleted