1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Me-first journalism: Jameis Winston style

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Feb 27, 2015.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

This was self indulgence on a high order. Beyond a few interesting morsels about threats from crazed fans, it was a luxurious swim in Lake Me.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Writers are self indulgent by nature, and I'm not against writing in the first person. But this is just a tired approach at this point.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

If I've forgotten everything about journalism I remember one thing: The readers really don't give a shit about our problems

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The most stunning thing about that piece of garbage is the paper that it's in.

No paper should run a story like that, but it magnifies it that the snobbiest section in America ran it.

Riptide and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  6. RecoveringJournalist

Can our writers get a soda in the press room? No, that would be a conflict of interest... Write a story whining about doing your job? Great idea!

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with the latter point, but best I can tell, this did not run in the print edition. Unless it is slated for one of the weekend editions. Not that it should have run anywhere other than a personal blog. Who cares?

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It was advertised on Twitter as his ordeal with fans.
    I was ready for some real horror stories. Instead, nothing worse than what I've heard on this board. I thought we were going to read about people throwing bricks through his window, getting stalked at stores and all sorts of garbage.
    This guy needs some tougher skin. What he "dealt" with is probably on par what athletes deal with daily.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wonder if he is haunted by giant seafood.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. I thought it was a decent look into the complexities of covering stories like this that aren't popular. I think those of you who think people don't care, and don't want to read any of this, are dead wrong.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the paper felt what happened to him was news, they should have made him the subject of the piece, not its author. But it wasn't news, and it just made everybody else's job at that section harder Now the fans think the paper has rabbit ears, and will ride every reporter on every beat.

12. RecoveringJournalist

So, we're now writing for other writers?

This, read to me like a bitch session many of us have had with colleagues, and while I enjoy those bitch sessions, I don't think readers care at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted